How Does Fried Ice Cream Not Melt?
It is simple.
Generally, fried ice cream are small balls of ice cream which are frozen at a very low temperature and then rolled in a batter or either eggs, cornflakes or tempura and then deep fried.
The coating generally acts as an insulating agent and the ice cream does not melt inside.
Macadamia Mango Fried Ice Cream with white chocolate coconut sauce! Phew! That was a mouthful. Really I wanted to make mango macadamia lace sandwiches but let’s be honest, that totally did not work out. The cookies crumbled but I took a bite and it was so good I had to do something with it. Then it hit me, tropical fried ice cream. HECK YES. It was not a flop unlike the police officer that helped my sister when her workplace was broken into. He was a bit of a flop.
Are Macadamia Nuts Healthy?
Macadamia nuts have had a bad reputation for a long time, mostly because they are high in fat.
However, between 78 to 86 percent of the fat is monounsaturated (the good for you, heart-healthy kind of fat).
Monounsaturated fat helps lower cholesterol and decreases your risk of heart disease and stroke.
She called to tell me about it months ago. It was Idaho Falls in December so it was -20. Literally. She arrived to find the front door bashed in and her desk rifled through. When the police arrived he became obsessed with the fact that the stamps hadn’t been taken off of her desk, “but the real question is, why would they take the deposits but leave the stamps?”
Ummmm, no one cares about stamps. I bet people go years without even using one. I still do. I love getting mail. Since I was little I loved checking the mailbox every day and I still get the mail every day. Every. Day.
Gosh, I have issues don’t I? Let’s get back to the dessert. We had half a container of these roasted salted macadamia nuts leftover from this killer Polynesian salad and when there’s half of anything left in my house I obsess about what recipe I can turn it into. I was watching an episode of America’s Test Kitchen (I love you!! I’m so visiting one day!!!) and they were talking about lace cookies. I immediately knew I could make a macadamia version and thanks to this Macadamia Crusted Mahi Mahi I knew mango would be perfect with it. Actually that salad uses it too. But anyway, as I said, the cookies couldn’t hold the mango sorbet, but scoop a ball and roll it in the crushed cookies and you’ve got what tastes like fried ice cream.
Cade cried a little that it wasn’t his beloved chocolate chip but good golly, man pull yourself together! Everything doesn’t have to be chocolate! Plus, wouldn’t these be so pretty to serve up to dinner guests or for a summer baby shower? Our little girl wanted a white chocolate sauce (no really, she actually asked for it) and I used coconut milk to keep up the flavor profile. Just a glass bowl on a simmering pot of water and slowly melt the chocolate and coconut milk while whisking then pour over the top!
Macadamia Mango Fried Ice Cream
Macadamia Mango Fried Ice Cream
For the Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Butter unsalted
- 1 Cup Macadamia Nuts roasted, salted and crushed into fine pieces
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Large Egg lightly whisked
For the Sauce
- 1 Cup White chocolate chips
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Milk not from a can
- Mango Sorbet
- For the Cookies
- Heat the oven to 350 and line 2 baking sheets with parchment or silpats.
- Over medium heat, in a small saucepan, melt the butter until just starting to turn golden .
- Remove to a bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the nuts, sugar, vanilla and egg.
- Stir into the cooled butter and set in the fridge to cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons onto the cookie sheet and bake 7 minutes.
- Remove to cool.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Once cool, crumble the cookies into a bowl.
- For the sauce
- Fill a small pan with a little water and bring to a simmer.
- Place a glass bowl over the saucepan and add the chocolate chips and coconut milk.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Set aside.
- To assemble
- Scoop the sorbet into round balls and roll in the cookies.
- Place in bowls and serve with sauce.
- You can also freeze them at this point for up to 3 days.