There are a few secrets here that help you make the best milk chocolate dipped chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches and we are totally going to get to all of them but first I need to persuade you to make them.
I first had the idea when I was seeing all of these ice cream sandwich cake thingies and I thought, dude, wish that was a chocolate chip cookie dipped in chocolate on a stick. And that’s when it hit me. Why have I not done that?!
We started experimenting but quickly learned that you actually need the perfect cookie, ice cream and chocolate to make this recipe amazing. I know, you’d think you could just whip up a batch of cookies, smoosh a little ice cream in the middle and dip the whole thing in chocolate but some chocolates are too thin and drip off or don’t melt down smooth enough to create a lovely shell. At the same time a cookie that’s too soft or too sweet is the worst to make a sandwich out of. Oh, and don’t even start us on the ice cream.
Cade is already an ice cream snob and tends to stick to Kirkland from Costco or Tillamook, but you definitely don’t want to go with cheap vanilla here or it wont be smooth and creamy.
In case you haven’t noticed, we pretty much never post ice cream recipes. Well other than this strawberry ice cream or dulce de leche. Cade LOVES ice cream. Especially a good shake from JCW’s, but I tend to be more of a hot cookie or brownie fan for dessert. Actually, I mostly love strawberry shortcake (lemon strawberry shortcakes, fried strawberry shortcakes and donut shortcakes!), but the family loves chocolate so occasionally I have to ditch my love for fruit and bust out something chocolatey.
This was one of those times that I actually did not miss the berries at all. In fact, I had to use major, major self control to not make one a day after I had started! You guys, they are so easy to whip up for a party with friends or just an awesome dessert for you once the kiddos are in bed. Actually, I keep frozen dough in the freezer and we pop a little cookie in just for us whenever we have a hankering. MMMMMM.
Anyway, back to the cookies, we’ve found the double tree recipe by Little Kitchen to hold up the best and milk chocolate candy coating to be the best dipper.
Why Do Chocolate Chip Cookies Spread?
Butter and sugar make cookies spread.
To avoid flat, spreading cookies, try these things.
Use half butter and half shortening.
Reduce the amount of sugar.
Check the oven temperature for accuracy, increasing or reducing the temperature by 25 degrees may solve the problem.
Place the cookie dough on cool, clean pans.
Cool the dough before baking.
What Can You Substitute For Brown Sugar?
You can use all white sugar in an equal amount, but your cookies will be a little crisper than if they had been made with brown sugar.
Or, if you have molasses on hand, add 2 tablespoons molasses to every cup of substituted white sugar and you will not be able to tell the difference.
How Long Will Ice Cream Sandwiches Keep?
When stored properly, ice cream sandwiches will keep for 3 months in the freezer.
They should be wrapped well to keep air out.
Although ice cream sandwiches will not be at their peak after 3 months, they will still be safe to eat.
More Ice Cream Recipes You’re Sure to Love:
- Strawberry Ice Cream
- Biscoff Cookie Butter Homemade Ice Cream
- Dulce De Leche Ice Cream
- Berries and Cream Ice Cream
- Lemon Curd Frozen Custard
- Key Lime Pie Milkshake
- Cookies and Cream Frozen Custard
- Copycat Pinkberry Chocolate Crunch Sauce
- Apple Pie Fried Ice Cream Cake
- Loaded Salted Pretzel Ice Cream Sundae
- Mint Chocolate Stracciatella Ice Cream
- Nutella Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- All our ICE CREAM RECIPES here!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Milk Chocolate Candy Coating or dipping chocolate
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- [Double Tree Cookies minus the nuts]
- Make the cookies and allow to cool completely.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet or cutting board and place a line of cookies, flat bottoms up on the baking sheet.
- Scoop a large scoop of vanilla ice cream onto every other cookie and then top with another cookie, pressing gently so the ice cream really adheres to the cookie.
- Carefully push a stick into the center of the ice cream sandwiches. This is essential for freezing so that it all stays together.
- Place the cookie sheet into the freezer, top with parchment or wax paper and freeze for 2 hours or overnight.
- Break off a few squares of chocolate into a pie plate and place in the microwave for 20 second intervals, stirring between until totally melted.
- Allow to cool just for a minute so it doesn't melt the ice cream and then using a spoon to help, lay the sandwich into the chocolate, flip and use the spoon to cover the sides.
- Place back onto the parchment and into the freezer while you finish the rest, which also allows the chocolate to cool and solidify.
- Serve immediately or wrap in parchment and keep in ziplocs for up to 1 month!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Sea Salt cookies stuffed with Nutella
Kayle (The Cooking Actress)
I appreciate all the time and effort you put into these because ohemgeeee these are gonna be my favorite treat of the SUMMER! eeeeee!
haha! Thank you, thank you!
This recipe is pure genius! When my brother hears about these he is going to go crazy for one. I am adding these to my list!
Annie @ Annie’s Noms
Oh yummy! Could do with one of these right now! Cookies, ice cream and chocolate all in one?? Perfection!
Oh my goodness, these look sooo delightful! Not to mention stinkin’ easy. <3
The ice cream sandwiches sound amazing but then you dipped them in chocolate! I love it!
Those look crazy delicious!! I love chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches and dipping them in chocolate just sounds over the top amazing!
What a decadent treat! Yum!
Thanks, friend! I miss seeing you!