It’s almost the holidays and that means travel. I bet you could use a new suitcase and some organization for travel. Scroll down to enter the giveaway after reading the post! A long time ago, like years and years ago, I saw an episode of Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives where Guy Fieri was trying a breakfast joint that served Capn’ Crunch French toast. I was totally intrigued. Was it really good? Breakfast cereal on French toast?! It kind of got the wheels spinning in my head and ever since then we’ve loved experimenting with breakfast, like these green smoothie pancakes, berries and cream crepes, and peach cobbler French toast casserole, but this syrup may just be the ultimate syrup experiment. Well, these or the over the top, crazy delicious pancakes that you will see next month. 😉
I was looking at a bag of Milky Way (my favorite candy bar as a kid) candy bars and wondering what in the world I was going to do with all of this candy sitting around, when my daughter came down the stairs and asked if we could have pancakes for dinner. That doesn’t happen too often as Saturday mornings generally involve pancakes or crepes, but I was already getting that fluffy, buttery taste in my mouth so I quickly agreed. And then, being the genius 7 year old that she is she asked if I could make a candy bar syrup to go on top. I almost said no…
The words started to pour out of my mouth and then I saw her bright eyes, all lit up with excitement and thought, why the heck not?! I promise, we really do eat quite healthy, but gosh darnit, something needed to be done with those candy bars and I was not going to let them stare me down from the pantry every day. You see, I was recently traveling for a few weeks and desperately missing my family so I’ve been finding myself looking for more opportunities to just do silly, fun, memorable things for us to be together. And while we’re chatting, scroll down to see what I’ve decided are essentials for travel.
It’s really not very different from any other syrup but you do need to take a moment when you’re eating your first bite to close your eyes and take it all in. Sure enough, that creamy, caramel, nougat delciousness makes the syrup totally and completely plate lickable. I felt like a child myself dragging every bite of pancake through the excess syrup on the plate.
Don’t get me wrong, I totally did a killer barre class the next morning, but for the moment the sugar didn’t matter, it was just me and a pancake, oh and the fam of course. And now for a little fun, the giveaway.
Like I said, I traveled a lot the past few weeks and there’s a few things that I learned.
1. A good carry-on that’s light weight but durable is a must. I tried out the Ebags Expandable Carry-on and I loved it. There were plenty of pockets for me to pack different things in different areas so it wasn’t just rolling around the bag, but even more important was that it was light weight. I’m not the biggest person out there so it definitely is a must for me to have something I can haul through airports and to and from hotels.
2. Organization is key. There’s not much worse about travel than the fact that you are shoving your whole life into a suitcase and then rifling through it every day for what you need. It’s exhausting. I hate it. Which is why I have fallen in love with these packing cubes. Oh my gosh they make life easier. I even used one solely for dirty clothes just so they were packed all nice and tight in a separate bag inside of my suitcase. I was able to keep everything organized which helped me feel more in control and relaxed each day.
3. Comfort whenever possible. Whether it’s getting work done in your hotel room or sitting on an airplane or in a car you need to find a way to still relax and rest. Travel is not all fun and games like it was when we were kids. There’s a lot to prepare and it’s a long day when you’re traveling so just bringing something as small and easy as a Tempurpedic neck pillow can help you to get a little rest so you are ready to get moving once you arrive at your destination. It’s soft, supports your head and neck and helps you get a little relaxation.
4. Travel Size Me. Unlike fast food restaurants you do not want to super size anything while traveling which is why I use a little trick. I travel or sample size everything from my shampoo, conditioner and deodorant to my makeup. Trust me it only takes one time of forgetting liquids and having security take them or something spilling everywhere for you to make the switch. Target sells like everything travel sized or containers to fill on your own. But even more important than that, I use sample sizes from the makeup counters or certain skin care so that I don’t have to take all of my full sized pieces. Eye shadow does get tricky, but everything else you can generally get a sample size or the little containers filled with a sample, which by the way you can later reuse with your own makeup for future travel.
Milky Way Syrup
Milky Way Syrup
- 1 cube Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Chocolate Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Cup chopped Milky Way Candy Bars
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat combine the butter, sugar, milk, cocoa and vanilla.
- Heat, stirring occasionally until the butter is almost completely melted, and then add the candy bars and stir until melted down completely.
- Bring the syrup to a boil and remove from the heat.
Serve over pancakes immediately.
Yield: 1 pint syrup, Serving Size: 1
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 1297 Calories
- Total Fat: 35.9g
- Cholesterol: 92.6mg
- Carbohydrates: 244.7g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Sugar: 234.3g
- Protein: 11g