Mini Savory Chicken Handpies are the perfect fix for a Holiday Appetizer.
It’s always a little tricky to figure out what to take to a Holiday party. Or, if you are hosting I feel like it’s even worse. The food is all up to you and it had better be good because you know that people are going to come hungry. I hate deciding what to make for guests. I rack my brain over it for weeks until the party. I always want to take something that looks wonderful, doesn’t take too much time so I’m not slaving in the kitchen, but most of all I want it to taste amazing since I know that so many different people will be sampling it.
These little pies are filled with creamy chicken, broccoli, and red peppers. The flavor is fantastic, and I adore the creaminess from the filling with the flaky crust of the pies.
I know that these will be the perfect solution to your Holiday Appetizer Problem, and even if you don’t have a party to attend, you could always make one big pie for a Holiday dinner that is sure to impress.
Can Chicken Pies Be Frozen Before Baking?
You can cover and freeze chicken pot pies for up to 3 months.
Wrap well in plastic and then wrap in foil or place in a heavy duty freezer bag.
Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking.
How Long Will A Chicken Pie Keep?
Chicken pie will keep for 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
The pie should be wrapped in plastic or covered with foil.
What Makes Pie Crust Tough?
Too much water makes pie dough sticky and when baked, it will be tough and chewy.
Also, kneading the pie dough too much will result in a tough pie crust.
Dough should be mixed just long enough to incorporate all the flour into the dough.
Mini Savory Chicken Handpies
For the Filling
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Clove Garlic
- 2 tub Knorr Homestyle Chicken Stock
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 8 Oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 Cup Half and Half or Whole Milk
- Pinch of Salt and pepper
- 1 Large, cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 Cup Broccoli, chopped
- 1 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, Chopped (if you use dry only use 1 teaspoon)
- 1 Savory Pie Crust (or use any you like)
Savory Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 Cups flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1/8 cup Crisco
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 egg (beat the egg in a small bowl and pour out half of the mixture)
- 1/2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Cold water (read the rest of the instructions for the amount)
For the Filling
- Place the butter, and the Knorr Homestyle Chicken Stock in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Once melted add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the red pepper, and saute another 2 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the cream cheese, milk, and seasonings.
- Whisk to combine and remove from the heat.
- Add the chicken, broccoli, and parsley in a large bowl with the creamy mixture and fold all together.
- Set aside.
- Heat the oven to 425.
- Roll out the pie crust, and using a biscuit cutter or a glass, cut circles out of the dough. I just use a regular drinking glass to get the little circles.
- Place a little filling, about a tablespoon, in the center of a circle.
- Place another circle on top and press around the edges to seal it shut.
- Use a fork to go around the sides to create a tiny version of a pie crust.
- Use the scraps to create leaves, stars, etc as a decorative topping.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 20-30 minutes (ours took about 26, but it depends on the size of the pie)
Savory Pie Crust
- Place the flour into a mixing bowl with the shortening.
- Cut together until it looks like corn meal.
- Then, in a 1 cup measuring cup, combine 1/2 egg (slightly beaten), and apple cider vinegar.
- Fill the cup with cold water up to 1/2 cup.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients & stir with a fork until combined.
- Then use your hands to clump the dough together in a ball.
- Flour the counter and roll out the dough.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 8135 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 1870.5mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 290.3g Fiber: 14.3g Sugar: 19.7g Protein: 412.8g