Hello Oh Sweet Basil readers! My name is Meghan and I blog about food for every occasion using easily accessible ingredients over at Meg’s Everyday Indulgence. I’m a mama to two wild, ornery kids that keep me on my toes and on the run. They love to help me in the kitchen and along with my husband, are my favorite recipe testers. I love photography and you can usually find me in the middle of some kind of DIY project or craft.
I am beyond grateful and excited to be guest posting for Carrian today. I brought you some super cute Halloween treats today that only require 3 ingredients and a few fun extras to create, Mummy Pie Pops. They are perfect to whip up with the kids on a lazy Saturday.
I don’t know about you, but I just about die over a mini dessert. What is it about bite size treats that make them so irresistible? And mini pie is so down my alley. No matter how many times I try, I never end up with a beautifully crimped pie crust which results in much frustration on my part. Am I the only one? Because of this I usually end up avoiding pies all together. This is a sad fact for my pie loving husband. But problem no more because he’s having pie pops from now on. No crimping = my best friend. Plus, these pops are drizzled with a generous amount of melted white chocolate so who cares what they look like after baking. Hint: another reason they are great to do with the littles in your life.
They are easy to put together and use simple ingredients yet they make such an impact. The perfect centerpiece or favor for your Halloween party. All you need to make these spooky little guys is premade, refrigerated pie crust, strawberry preserves and white chocolate chips. Additional supplies include lollipop or popsicle sticks, candy eyeballs, a round 2-inch cookie cutter and Halloween themed ribbon to make them extra cute.
The pie crust gets golden and crispy in the oven and they burst with the sweet, strawberry preserves (literally if you don’t seal them well enough, not that I would know from experience or anything). Oh yeah, then the creamy white chocolate. Mmm, the white chocolate.
If strawberry isn’t your jam (I know, I’m killing it), change it up with your favorite flavor. I think cherry or apple would be totally perfect for fall.
Thanks for spending time with me and checking out these fun Halloween treats! I hope that you’ll come by and say hello!
Why Does Pie Crust Crumble?
If your pie crust is crumbly and hard to roll out, it needs more moisture.
Add a few drops of cold water and mix into the dough.
You can sprinkle a teaspoon of water, cover and let sit in the refrigerator for a few minute, then try to mix the dough.
Be careful to not handle the dough too much or it will be tough.
Why Does Pie Dough Shrink?
Higher temperatures make the gluten in pie crusts tighten up.
This causes the pie crust to shrink a bit.
Try lowering the temperature to 350 degrees and bake a little longer.
Is White Chocolate Really Chocolate?
White chocolate is made from cocoa butter.
Since it does not contain cocoa solids, it is not technically chocolate.
- Premade refrigerated double pie crust (get 18 out of each sheet)
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. strawberry preserves
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Candy eyeballs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place first pie dough sheet on a floured board and cut into rounds using a __ inch cookie cutter (I got 18 circles out of each pie dough sheet). Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheets then press lollipop sticks into circle a quarter of an inch from the top.
- Place a teaspoon of preserves into the center of each circle. Top with another circle and crimp edges closed with a fork. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown on edges.
Remove from oven and slide parchment, with pie pops still on them, onto the counter. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, melt white chocolate chips in a glass bowl in 30 second increments. Pour into a ziplock bag and cut the smallest bit off the corner of the bag. Drizzle all the pie pops in a back and forth motion. Place two candy eyeballs on each pie pop then outline them with more chocolate. Drizzle a bit more white chocolate around the eyes to make it appear that they are peering out from underneath. Allow white chocolate to harden then, if desired, tie a decorative ribbon on the stick. Keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 162 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 3.7mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 26.1g Fiber: 0.8g Sugar: 22g Protein: 1.2g
If you love these Mummy Pie Pops, be sure to check out these tasty recipes!