These Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes are a fun orange soda cupcake frosted?with a luscious, sweet orange cream cheese icing.?
Hi! I’m Barbara and I share my adventures in the kitchen on Barbara Bakes. My goal is to make baking easy and fun. I was delighted when Carrian asked me to guest post on Sweet Basil while she’s taking care of herself and her little baby bump.
My inspiration for recipes comes from?many different places. Some times it’s a request from reader or a friend. Sometimes it’s a dessert I’ve had in a restaurant, or seen in a magazine. Sometimes it’s a new ingredient I found at the store. But these cupcakes were inspired by the cute cupcake liners and sprinkles I found at Zurchers. I just couldn’t resist buying them even though I didn’t have a recipe in mind for them yet. They were just so colorful and happy.
I brought them home and left them on the counter for a few days waiting for inspiration to strike. Then I remembered the fun?orange soda cakes I’d seen several bloggers post and knew they’d make a great colorful cupcake too.
This?Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes?recipe is adapted from a lemon cupcake recipe from a cookbook I recently reviewed, The United States of Cakes. ?I liked that the recipe only makes 12 cupcakes. Having two dozen cupcakes in the house is just too tempting when I’m going to be?home alone with them.
I added orange food coloring to the batter so they’d be a darker?orange color, but feel free to omit it if you’d rather.
I liked the orange?cupcake, it’s light and fluffy with a mild orange flavor. But I?LOVED the frosting. It’s rich and cream and has a great orange flavor.
And I didn’t need to worry about having too many cupcakes in the house. These cupcakes were gone in a flash.
Can Cupcakes Be Baked Without Paper Liners?
If you prefer cupcakes without paper liners, grease and flour the pan so the cupcakes come out without sticking.
How Long Will Cupcakes Stay Fresh?
Cupcakes will stay fresh for 2 days on the counter.
They will keep up to a week in the refrigerator.
For longer storage, cupcakes can be frozen for up to six months.
Can Cream Cheese Frosting Be Frozen?
Cream cheese frosting is ideal for freezing.
It is sturdy, with plenty of fat, and it will do better in the freezer than a more delicate meringue-based icing.
Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup orange soda
- orange food coloring, optional
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt;
- set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time.
- Add orange soda and food coloring if using;
- mix just until blended on low speed.
- Gradually add dry ingredients and mix just until blended.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and the cupcake springs back when touched.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack completely before frosting.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat cream cheese, butter, zest, and orange juice until creamy.
- Beat in powdered sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add additional powdered sugar or orange juice if necessary.
*High altitude changes: reduce soda to 1/4 teaspoon and reduced the sugar by 1 tablespoon.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 388 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 92.5mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 53.8g Fiber: 0.5g Sugar: 37.4g Protein: 4.2g