The other night we were looking for a quick and easy treat that wasn’t your typical brownie, cookie, or cupcake. We found this Apple Streusel Bar recipe from Our Best Bites and it was really yummy. In fact, we quite enjoyed it. We had to hurry and snap a picture so the one above doesn’t really do this bar justice, but that’s what happens sometimes. We have kids and that means I don’t get to take 20 min to set everything up and take a gorgeous picture. I’m ok with that though.
Do Apples Lose Their Nutrition When Cooked?
Cooking apples will tend to decrease the vitamin C content, since this nutrient is particularly susceptible to heat.
However, not all of the vitamin C is lost and apples are rich in many other nutrients as well.
What Is The Best Kind Of Apple To Bake?
The best baking apples offer a balance of sweet and tart flavors as well as flesh that doesn’t break down in the oven.
Some recommended apples for baking are, Jonathans and Jonagolds, Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Winesap, Braeburn, and Rome Beauty.
What Is Streusel?
Streusel is a crumbly topping for cakes, pies or bars.
Streusel is made from fat, flour, sugar, and often cinnamon.
Apple Streusel Bar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cup (about 3 medium) sliced, peeled baking apples
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- About 3 tablespoons milk (whole milk is best)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
For the Crust
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until you have pea-sized crumbles.
- Gently mix in the beaten egg.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Gently pat about 2/3 of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the dish.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and set aside the pan.
For the Filling
- Combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon and toss with apples.
- Spread apples out on prepared crust.
- Sprinkle reserved crust mixture over apples evenly and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
To Prepare the Glaze
- Whisk together powdered sugar, almond extract, and enough milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the bars and serve.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 313 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 45.2mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 48g Fiber: 1.3g Sugar: 32.2g Protein: 2.7g