The secret to the best rice? Ask a Costa Rican. Ok, I asked for you, and I promise that this is the secret to making simple, perfect rice. Clearly this rice is not meant to accompany all dishes because of the clear difference in flavors, but don’t worry, I already plan on bringing you new versions.
Really though, this rice is not only completely delicious, it’s actually a time saver too. Let me explain what I mean…
These little pretties are about to bless your life fooooorrrreeeeevvvvveeeeerrrrr. So, my very darling friend, Maihsmy is from Costa Rica. She makes wonderful food… Tres Leches anyone? One of the best things that she has ever taught me is her cilantro/pepper mix. Maihsmy has these little containers stored in her freezer, and one in the fridge at all times. Whenever she makes rice, she just adds a little scoop and ta da, perfectly flavored rice. As one container runs out, she brings down another from the freezer. Isn’t that so easy?
So, let’s get started. First, Maihsmy uses her mini chopper, your food processor would be great too. There are only a few ingredients, but it’s important to note that the all but the very tips of the cilantro is used, as in the stems are used as well.
Just throw each ingredient in the chopper until it is very fine. Add to a bowl, drizzle in your olive oil, mix and place in baby food jars, or small tupperware containers.
Keep everything on hand in the freezer and fridge for a super yummy rice!
Is Brown Rice Healthier Than White Rice?
White rice has had the bran and germ removed.
These are the most nutritious parts of rice.
Brown rice is a whole grain that contains the bran and germ.
These provide fiber and several vitamins and minerals.
That is what makes brown rice healthier than white rice.
Is Quinoa a Good Substitute For Rice?
Quinoa is a healthier alternative to rice.
One cup of cooked quinoa has about 40 fewer calories than the same amount of white rice.
White rice has almost 15 times more grams of carbohydrates, and quinoa provides 5 more grams of fiber and double the protein.
What Kind of Onion Can You Substitute for White Onion?
You can substitute a yellow onion for a white onion.
White onions have a slightly milder flavor than yellow onions.
You could even use a red onion for white, but the red onion will give a red color to what you are making.
The Best Rice
Costa Rican Rice
- 1 White Onion
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Bunch Cilantro, trimming only the very bottom inch of stem off (yes, you'll be using the stems too)
- 5-6 Cloves Garlic
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, to taste
- 1 Cup Rice
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/2 jar or 3 teaspoons of mix
- Place each ingredient in a food processor or mini chopper separately, pulse until each ingredient is minced finely.
- Place in a bowl, pour in the olive oil and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into small jars and freeze until ready to use. Keep one on hand in the fridge at all times.
- When you are ready to cook with it, place the rice, water, salt and about 1/2 of the jar in a rice cooker.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes depending on your rice cooker (or bring to a boil on stove top, turn down to a simmer with the lid on and cook until tender.)
- Give the rice a good stir and serve immediately!