These Popcorn Shrimp with Mango Chipotle Sauce are the perfect summer appetizer! The shrimp are crispy and packed with flavor alongside a sweet and spicy summery sauce for dipping.
Are Shrimp and Prawns the Same?
Prawns have claws on three of their five pairs of legs, shrimp have claws on two of their five pairs of legs.
Their gills and body shape are different too.
As far as cooking them goes, they are virtually identical and interchangeable.
Hi friends! It’s Mary Ann from The Beach House Kitchen. Today, I’m back at Oh Sweet Basil to share a summer appetizer that makes an appearance at all my cocktail parties at the BHK. These Popcorn Shrimp with my to die for sweet and spicy Mango Chipotle Sauce are a favorite with all my guests. Seafood is a huge part of our summer at the beach. My boys love to go crabbing and fishing, so seafood is on the menu quite often at our house.
Is Seafood Healthy?
Seafood is a nutrient rich food that is a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals.
Scientific studies continue to explore the relationship between the unique type of fat found in seafood, the omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA, in the prevention or mitigation of common chronic diseases.
We all know that summer recipes need to be quick and fresh right? Well, this one totally fits the bill! These shrimp couldn’t be simpler to whip up! They’re definitely all about the delicious coating. It’s a mixture of Panko crumbs, some of my favorite Old Bay seasoning and kosher salt and pepper. How easy is that?!
How is Kosher Salt Different From Table Salt?
Kosher salt is less refined than table salt.
Its larger flakes don’t compact together as neatly, so a pinch is a little coarser and not as dense.
When to use it: Kosher salt is the most versatile.
It’s great for seasoning before, during and after cooking.
And the mango chipotle sauce is just as easy. It’s totally fresh with a sweet and spicy kick. I guarantee you’re going to LOVE it. It’s a summery change-up from the usual cocktail sauce. This lip-smackin’ combination of fresh and juicy mangoes, lemon juice, shallots, spicy chipotle peppers and some honey for sweetness will have you double dipping for sure! It’s irresistible!
What is Chipotle Sauce?
Chipotle sauce is made with adobo chipotles, plain yogurt or Mexican crema, garlic, and lime juice.
Chipotles are actually smoked dried jalapeños.
So get this one on your summer cocktail party menu friends. They’ll be the hit of the party! Hope you enjoy them as much as we do! Happy Summer!
Popcorn Shrimp with Mango Chipotle Sauce
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Popcorn Shrimp with Mango Chipotle Sauce
Mango Chipotle Sauce
- 2 cups fresh mango chunks
- 1/4 cup shallots chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 small chipotle pepper in adobo sauce use 1/2 the pepper if you like a milder taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 lb. raw shrimp peeled and deveined (keep tails attached)
- vegetable oil for frying
- Mango Chipotle Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Popcorn Shrimp
- Line a large baking sheet with paper towels.
- Place flour in medium bowl.
- Place beaten eggs in another medium bowl.
- Combine Panko crumbs, salt, pepper and Old Bay in a third medium bowl.
- First, dip shrimp in flour, then egg, then in Panko mixture, making sure to coat well, pressing crumbs into each shrimp.
- Set aside onto prepared sheet.
- Place some vegetable oil into the bottom of a large skillet over medium heat.
- Fry 6-8 pieces at a time for about 2 minutes per side until cooked through and golden brown.
- Remove cooked shrimp from pan and place on prepared sheet.
- Continue to fry adding extra vegetable oil if needed until all shrimp are fried.
- Serve immediately with sauce.
- The shrimp can be reheated in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes.