If you’re grilling steak this summer, don’t goof around. Grill a giant juicy Porterhouse Steak with mushrooms and claim that grill as your throne.
The porterhouse is a two-fer. You get the NY Strip on one side and a nice little tenderloin filet on the other, with the bone running right up the middle.
When Carrian asked me if I’d be interested in guest posting for her Dude Food party, I didn’t even think about it. First of all, I am a dude and second, I love my food.
With both boxes checked, I was fully qualified for dude food.
I had a hard time coming up with an idea of what to make. My mind was full of crazy things that I’d love to eat if I was able to choose, like ultimate burgers or fried chicken breakfast sandwiches. But because I really only eat steak on special occasions, this porterhouse was perfect!
It weighed about a pound and a quarter and do you see that amazing color and marbling? Usually I’d stick to a tenderloin filet because I don’t like working for my food and trying to maneuver that bone, but it was so worth it.
I like to keep steaks simple, so I just seasoned it with some salt and black pepper. a tiny drizzle of olive oil and threw it on the grill. About four minutes on each side and it was done.
Medium rare is my sweet spot.
I sautéed some shiitake mushrooms with diced shallots, butter and rosemary and plopped them on top of that behemoth porterhouse. It was the perfect side dish and didn’t take away the spotlight from the meat.
What is the Difference Between Shallots and Green Onions?
Shallots, onions and garlic are all in the same family.
Shallots have a richer, sweet flavor, but are more potent.
They grow in clusters with several bulbs attached at the base.
Shallots have a coppery skin and off-white flesh.
I can’t wait to make this again, but I think I’ll go bigger!
How do You Know If Steak is Done?
The “touch” test is an easy way to tell if a steak is done.
Make a relaxed fist.
Touch the fleshy part of your hand between the thumb and forefinger.
It is soft, like a rare steak.
Next tighten the fist a little.
It is firmer, like a medium steak.
Make a tight fist.
It will feel very firm, like a well-done steak.
Are Mushrooms Healthy?
Mushrooms contain Vitamin C, fiber and potassium.
Potassium and sodium work together in the body to regulate blood pressure.
More Delicious STEAK RECIPES:
- Steak Fajita Marinade
- Easy Garlic Butter Steak at Home
- Easy Philly Cheesesteak Bread
- Healthy Thai Peanut Steak Salad
- Grilled Steak Burrito Bowls
- Grilled Flank Steak Summer Salad
- Spicy Steak and Shrimp Kabobs
- Steak Burrito with Grilled Zucchini
- Steak and Brussels Sprouts
- Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
- All our Beef Recipes here!
Porterhouse Steak with Mushrooms
Porterhouse Steak with Mushrooms
- 1 Porterhouse Steak at least 1 pound
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Mushrooms
- 1 8 oz package of Shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- Bring the steak to room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your grill to high.
- Drizzle lightly with the olive oil.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Grill the steak for about 4 minutes on each side or more if desired.
- Transfer the steak to a plate, cover with foil and let rest.
- Melt the butter in a small pan.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes over a medium-high heat and the mushrooms start to soften.
- Add the chopped rosemary and stir.
- Place the steak on a plate and spoon the mushrooms over the top.
- Pour any extra pan juices from the mushrooms over the steak also.
- Serve at once.
Foodness Gracious – Instagram – Facebook – Pinterest – Twitter