I love the holiday baking madness that begins in November. I may not love the stress, but I do love seeing the shelves loaded with gobs of goodies, spices and baking materials. I think it’s so fun. Unfortunately that never helps me with cutesy ideas. I can think up pies, cookies, and even brownies, but I never really have cute ideas. Until I made these for a Hershey’s party my friends and I are doing. I made these yummy cookies and Cade and I had the girls stand at the counter and place the kisses on each cookie when our littlest said, “Are these reindeer noses?” YES! Something cute even if it was an accident! These candy cane gingerbread cookies are just like cute little noses!
I may not have thought up the cute idea, and even if it was a total accident she was right, they do look like they could be festive reindeer noses. I actually made these cookies a few weeks ago, but I didn’t like how crisp they turned out. So, I decided to turn the baking time down by two minutes and they were still chewy, but not as gooey soft as I like.However, I don’t know that you can ever really find a ginger snap (hello, the name itself implies crisp) that is like that.
Can you believe all of these yummy treats that we’ve made with our favorite Hersheys treats? Don’t they look amazing?!! Don’t worry, I’ve linked up to each and every one! WOOHOO!! Just scroll down and you’ll find the links right before the recipe! And we are all going to be hosting a twitter party!
When: December 12th at 8pm EST
Where: Twitter! Follow @ohsweetbasil , @Hersheyskisses and all of the bloggers listed below
What: Get ready for a fun time and awesome prizes!!
I did however discover that using all shortening (gasp) really does make the softest ginger snap. But since I like the butter flavor I like to leave it at half and half. You can do as you please.
And like I said above, my friends and I decided to play around with all of the fun Hershey’s flavors and recipes around this time of year and we decided to put ourselves all in the same place so you could easily get to each of our recipes. Just look at all of the deliciousness!!
Does Ginger Help a Cold?
Ginger root has anti-inflammatory properties that will help to relieve a sore throat quickly, and they also kill rhinoviruses, which cause colds in the first place.
Will Ginger Help an Upset Stomach?
Studies have shown that ginger can be a very effective treatment for some kinds of stomach upset.
Ginger is a natural anti inflammatory and can be used in many forms.
How Long Will Gingerbread Cookies Keep?
Gingerbread cookies will usually last 4-6 weeks.
They can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Reindeer Noses-Candy Cane Gingerbread Cookies
- 4 1/2 Cups Flour
- 3 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Shortening
- 1/2 Cup Butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Molasses
- 2 Large Eggs, slightly whisked
- Turbinado or coarse sugar for rolling the dough in, about 1 cup.
- 1 1/2 Bags Candy Cane Kisses
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare two to four baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer combine the butter and shortening until smooth.
- Add the sugar and brown sugar and cream for 90 seconds.
- With the mixer still running, add the molasses and mix for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs and mix again until the mixture is thoroughly mixed together.
- While the mixer is running, slowly add the flour mixture a cup at a time and mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Cover the bowl tightly with saran wrap and let rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into balls and roll in the sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then remove from the oven and quickly top with a candy cane kiss.
- Allow to cool a moment before removing the cookies to a cooling rack.
If you can't find turbinado or coarse sugar just use granulated sugar.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 198 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 12.3mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 28.6g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 18.9g Protein: 1.9g