Out of this world decadent skillet rocky road brownies. This brownie is made right in the pan and is done in less than 30 minutes. It’s the perfect sweet and salty dessert to share with friends over a pint of ice cream.
Brownies are one of my favorite desserts. This particular recipe is made and eaten right in the skillet meaning there is no mess to clean up. What could be more perfect than that? Maybe the fact that these rocky road brownies are unbelievably fudgy and basically melt in your mouth. Maybe the fact that its topped with salty nuts, toasted marshmallows, and chocolate chips. Who can tell?
These skillet rocky road brownies are everything. It has so many flavors and textures and is so much fun to eat right out of the skillet with a few large scoops of vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. It might be my favorite brownie recipes. If you’ve ever been to my blog, A Cookie Named Desire, you may notice that this is a variation of my favorite brownie recipe. This brownie is mostly rich, melted chocolate. I used a mix of dark and milk chocolate to make this rocky road extra decadent and also used a mix of walnuts and almonds in the topping for optimal crunch. I love using my kitchen torch to get my marshmallows extra toasty, but you can also leave your brownies in the oven or in the broiler for a couple of minutes. Just be sure to keep your eyes on the marshmallows so they don’t burn.
And you can eat these skillet rocky road brownies all on their own without any ice cream, but you’d really be missing out. You are going to want to reach for a nice tall glass of milk, so you may as well have it in the form of sweet vanilla ice cream. I recommend a good quality ice cream made with real vanilla bean. You won’t regret it.
Can You Use Salted Butter Instead of Unsalted?
You can substitute salted butter for unsalted butter in baking.
You may want to reduce the amount of salt that is called for in the recipe.
How Do You Know When Brownies are Done?
Insert a toothpick near the center of the brownies.
If it comes out covered in moist crumbs, it is not done.
If there are just a few crumbs that stick to the toothpick, your brownies are baked to a chewy consistency.
If the toothpick comes out clean, the brownies are cake-like.
What Nut Could You Substitute For Walnuts?
The nut that is most close to walnut in taste and texture is Pecan.
Pecans in equal amounts can be substituted for walnuts.
Skillet Rocky Road Brownies
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Skillet Rocky Road Brownie
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick
- 5 oz dark chocolate
- 5 oz milk chocolate
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 oz mini marshmallow
- 3 oz chopped lightly salted walnuts
- 2 oz lightly salted almonds
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat the butter and chocolate together on low until it is almost completely melted and immediately remove from heat.
- Allow the residual heat to melt the remaining butter and chocolate.
- Beat in the sugar until well incorporated and the mixture is ribbony.
- Beat in the eggs one by one until fully incorporated.
- Mix in the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder until it is fully mixed in.
- Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Top with the marshmallows, nuts, and chocolate chips.
- Toast the marshmallows using a kitchen torch, or with the oven broiler.
- Serve warm with several scoops of vanilla ice cream
Craving more brownie recipes?