This is what happens when you’re a mom and you’ve had an instagram feed blow up with s’mores all in one day. You get crazy and let the kids help you make s’mores banana bread. Then, what happens next is just sad.
So, I thought, well, I’ve been seeing s’mores all day and it’s starting to look pretty gosh darn delicious so I’ll be a cool mom and ask the kiddos if they’d like a s’mores treat, but the game has to be that it’s something other than an actual s’more. I thought for sure they were going to say cookies, which is totally what I was in the mood for, (you see how manipulative I can be? Put the idea into their head that they have all the control when really it’s just an excuse for me to make dessert) but then our oldest yelled out, S’MORES BANANA BREAD!
Shoot, I did tell her she could pick. I was disappointed and halfheartedly began whipping up an experimental banana bread. It smelled good while baking but I still wasn’t sold. We pulled it out of the oven and let it cool for oh, maybe 5 minutes because who cares right? Our girls took a bite and by now I’ve become totally curious. I mean, it does look pretty soft and luscious. Yes, the marshmallows have pretty much disappeared, but I know they are there. I snatch a little bite and golden sparkles begin shooting out of the bread followed by an orchestra! Well, that didn’t actually happen, but hot dang was it good! So sad part numero uno, I didn’t believe in my creative little one, and numero dos? Well I may have sent them out to play and finished off the rest on my own. That’s all folks!
What Are S’mores?
S’mores are a summer favorite!
They are simply roasted marshmallow and chocolate bar sandwiched in between two graham crackers.
Why Doesn’t Banana Bread Rise?
If you use too much baking soda or baking powder, the bread will rise quickly and then fall.
If your baking soda or baking powder is old, it may result in flat banana bread.
Another problem that could cause banana bread to be flat is the moisture in the dough.
If the dough is to runny, the bread will be flat; you may want to add a little more flour, just so the batter is stiffer.
Can Banana Bread Be Made Into Muffins?
Banana Bread can absolutely be made into muffins.
Just pour the batter into a muffin tin and reduce the temperature 25 degrees and reduce the baking time.
S’mores Banana Bread
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening or butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup bananas, mashed *about 2 medium bananas
- 1 1/2 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Tiny Marshmallows (found at Walmart)
- 1 Cup Broken Graham Crackers
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- line a jumbo muffin tin with jumbo cupcake liners or use regular muffin tin but see note baking times.
- in a medium bowl, whisk the cocoa, flour, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt together.
- set aside.
- in a large mixing bowl, beat the shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- slowly add a little of the flour, mix, a little of the banana, mix, and continue to alternate ending with the banana.
- add the chocolate chips, fold in marshmallows and graham crackers to combine and spoon into a small bread pan (not mini).
- bake for 50-60 minutes and allow to cool.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 4009 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 372mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 620.6g Fiber: 38.6g Sugar: 338.9g Protein: 59.2g