Once upon a time I was a snickerdoodle aholic. In fact both Carrian and I loved snickerdoodles as kids. Oh, you weren’t expecting Cade here, but I’m doing this post as I loved these bars so much I told Carri that I would post them myself so that I could tell everyone how amazing they were. And trust me there is no better word to describe these snickerdoodle banana bars.
Carrian had me snag a few bunches of bananas so that she could freeze a few new bags of bananas for our morning protein shakes and green protein smoothies. However, the weekend got busy and the bananas were too close to the limes so within just a short amount of time we had some very overripe bananas and I had a wife that was pounding out banana recipes like you wouldn’t even believe.
Do you remember these double chocolate banana muffins she posted about? Gosh, those were awesome too. The girls headed to bed every night and I would immediately have a hankering for those dang muffins. I swear she put something in them that I couldn’t resist. ANYWAY! Back to these bars, they are ridiculous. The little cinnamon chips in there are awesome. They get all warm and melted and on top of it they are nestled in soft, moist banana cake. And then there’s this little like, cinnamony topping that is so good! Anyway, I don’t know how to tell all the little stories like Carrian does, but I do know that these are delicious and I hope you all will make them. Oh, and Carrian says to tell you all to toss the cinnamon chips in a little flour and shake off the excess so they don’t sink to the bottom of the bread.
What is a Snickerdoodle?
Snickerdoodles are a type of cookie made with butter or oil, eggs, sugar, and flour, and rolled in cinnamon sugar.
Snickerdoodles also contain cream of tartar and baking soda added to leaven the dough.
Cream of tartar gives snickerdoodles their distinctive “tart” flavor.
How Long Will Banana Bread Keep?
Wrapped tightly, freshly baked banana bread will last for about 1 to 2 days at normal room temperature.
Banana bread will keep about l week in the refrigerator.
Can Banana Bread Be Frozen?
Banana Bread freezes very well.
Let the bread cool completely and then wrap well in plastic, foil, or place in heavy duty freezer bag.
Banana bread will keep up to 3 months in the freezer.
Snickerdoodle Banana Bars
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Snickerdoodle Banana Bars
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup cinnamon chips
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat the oven to 375.
- Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl combine the butter, sour cream and sugars, mixing until smooth for 30 seconds.
- Add the vanilla and egg and mix until smooth.
- Add the banana and mix for a couple of seconds.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt.
- Whisk together and add to the mixing bowl.
- Mix everything together just until the flour doesn't remain.
- Toss the chips in about a teaspoon of flour and shake off the excess.
- Add the cinnamon chips and fold into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan.
- In a small bowl add the butter, flour sugar and cinnamon.
- Using your hands, smoosh the mixture together.
- Sprinkle over the cake.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until done.