I love tacos. I especially love carne asada or carnitas tacos, but I don’t always want to take the time to eat them and I know this sounds weird, but as much as I love tacos I also don’t have any desire to have them all month long. I get bored having the exact same thing over and over again. I was trying to think up something for dinner one night and Cade said, what about tacos or pot pie or something like that. And the food blogger in me immediately said, taco pot pie. Actually it was more of a whisper. Can you picture it? Taaaco Pot Piiiieee.
You guys, my kids were not impressed when I put a pie on the table for dinner. They knew it wasn’t sweet and I told them that it was full of ground beef and those sweet little brains just couldn’t separate pie and savory pie. We were laughing so hard because they just kept saying, “so does it have chocolate in it? Is it like apple pie but with meat too?”
Oh goodness, clearly I need to make pot pie more. Thankfully we had a pillsbury pie dough box in the fridge so I seriously did like nothing to make this dinner. We just cooked up some ground beef, drained the grease and added Old El Paso sauce, beans, corn and sauteed peppers, and then dumped it in a pie crust, topped with cheese and covered the baby up.
Here’s a tip you’ll want to do though, make sure you prick the top crust so that it can let the steam out. Otherwise you’ll just end up with a soggy crust. And yes, the kids ended up devouring this and totally begging for it all the time now. We have the try it rule at our house, and what Mom makes is what’s for dinner so because they had to try it they realized that they loved it. WIN!!
Is There A Difference Between Pinto and Black Beans?
The difference between pinto and black beans is in their nutritional value.
Black beans are known to be more nutritious than pinto beans.
Black beans are higher in protein and also come with low levels of cholesterol.
Are Tacos Good For You?
Tacos can be healthy if you change up the recipe.
Make your tacos at home with fresh, nutritious ingredients for a suitable addition to any diet plan.
Are Corn Tortillas Gluten Free?
Most corn tortillas are made from masa harina, a special type of corn flour.
This corn flour is naturally gluten free.
Taco Pot Pie
Taco Pot Pie
- 1 Box Pillsbury Pie Crust (top and bottom crust
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 Old El Paso Roasted Tomato or Garlic Sauce Packet
- 1 1/2 Cups Corn
- 1 Can pinto beans drained
- 1 cup sauteed peppers sliced and cooked over medium heat with a little olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the ground beef.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes or until cooked through.
- Drain the grease and place back on the burner.
- Add the corn, beans, sauce, and peppers and continue to cook for an additional 4-6 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 425 degrees and line a pie plate with one piece of pie dough.
- Add all of the skillet ingredients and top with cheese.
- Place the last piece of pie dough over the plate and pinch to seal shut.
- Pierce the top with a knife and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.