The Thai beef with smashed spiced sweet potatoes are one of my husbands favorites. The spiced sweet potatoes came from Eatingwell.com and make a fast, healthy compliment to the ribbons (the potatoes aren’t “hot” spicy, but the ribbons are.)
Are Sweet Potatoes Better For You Than Regular Potatoes?
Sweet potatoes have fewer carbs and calories, and contain more vitamin A and vitamin C than white potatoes.
Regular white potatoes are lower in fat and sugar, and contain more protein and fiber.
Do Orange and White Sweet Potatoes Taste The Same?
White sweet potatoes have a milder flavor than orange sweet potatoes.
Orange sweet potatoes are a little more moist than white sweet potatoes.
Is Ginger Root Good For You?
Ginger root may relieve nausea, motion sickness, and pain, and may be helpful for loss of appetite.
Thai Beef with Smashed Spiced Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lb beef steak (I use whatever I have. I've even used stew meat)
- 1/3 Cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped ginger root
- 1 Tablespoon canola or peanut oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon crushed red pepper or cayenne
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Smashed Spiced Sweet Potatoes
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes (4-5 large)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
For the Thai Ribbons
- Soak thirty 6" skewers in water.
- Combine all but steak.
- Slice steak thinly across the grain (abt 1/4")
- Place steak in marinade for 15 min. turning to coat.
- Thread each slice onto skewers. Broil 2 min on each side.
- For the Smashed Spiced Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Pierce each potato, wrap in foil and bake 45 min or until soft. (I usually either do this the day before I make this dish, or I throw them in the oven while I workout. Then the actual dinner comes together really fast.)
- Let stand long enough to handle without burning yourself.
- Remove the skins.
- Smash with potato masher.
- Add butter to help mash out the chunks.
- Add remaining ingredients & enjoy!
Serving Size:1 recipe
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 3173 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 342.3mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 416.9g Fiber: 59g Sugar: 114.5g Protein: 128g