Simple and adorable turkey peanut butter cookies – perfect for Thanksgiving!
Hey Oh Sweet Basil readers!! It’s Chelsea from Chelsea’s Messy Apron. I get to post here while Carrian is recovering and spending time with her newest addition. Have you seen her adorable little boy? I’ve been obsessively stalking her Instagram page to see all the adorable pictures. Baby pictures are my favorite!!
Well, the goal with this post was to bring you one of the easiest while also cutest Thanksgiving treats. Enter: peanut butter “turkey” cookies. These cookies are simple and so dang cute. They can double as a table decoration AND dessert!
The “base” is simply a peanut butter cookie and the decorations are mostly candy — M&M’s for the “feathers” and mini reese’s cups for the “face.” And those cute eyes? Those are edible too! They are edible candy eyes and you can find them at most craft stores (I find them at Hobby Lobby) or at the grocery store with cake decorating. I’ve gotten them at Wal-Mart in the baking aisle next to the sprinkles before.
The cute little feet are just piped on with frosting. I used a frosting bag fitted with a Wilton #2 tip, but you could also use a plastic bag — just snip off the tip and a DIY frosting bag is ready!
Hope you enjoy these fun cookies and CONGRATS Carrian!
Can You Freeze Peanut Butter Cookie Dough?
You can freeze peanut butter cookie dough in one of two ways.
Roll dough into a log and wrap tightly in plastic to freeze.
Or, roll dough into balls, place on cookie sheet to freeze.
Then transfer the frozen balls to a freezer bag and store in freezer.
Turkey Peanut Butter Cookies
Turkey Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/3 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tub cream cheese frosting
- Orange food coloring
- 1 bag M&M's pick out reds, oranges, and yellows
- Edible eyes
- Mini Reese's peanut butter cups
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl beat together the peanut butter, softened butter, sugars, egg, heavy cream, and vanilla until creamy.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Roll the dough into balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Press the balls down with a fork, criss-crossing the fork to make two sets of lines in the cookie.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges and under neath of the cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Dye the frosting orange.
- Put the frosting into a large bag and snip off the tip (OR put it in a frosting bag fitted with a #2 tip)
- Once the cookies are cooled, pipe frosting on to M&M's to form turkey feathers.
- Attach the mini Reese's cup with the frosting.
- Attach the edible eyes to the Reese's cup with the frosting.
- Frost mini feet under the mini Reese's cup.
You can also connect with Chelsea’s Messy Apron here!