Dinner is sometimes a struggle at our house. The other night we had tortellini that needed to be used. It’s a big deal to my husband and I that our daughter tries new things and eats what is put in front of her. We have been working on broccoli lately. Someone once told me (this person doesn’t have any children) that if you make kids eat what you make and don’t cater to them or feed them “kid food” they wont be picky. That drives me bonkers. P has never even had Mac-n-cheese, but she is still picky and we are working on it. Lately she has been so good about eating everything so we are just going to keep putting whatever I make in front of her.
We prefer the spinach tortellini so I wasn’t too worried about taste, but it turned out so delicious. This was purely because we make another fried tortellini (I’ll post it another time) that P likes so I knew that something familiar, but just substitute carrots and broccoli was going to be a better way to get her to eat it. SHE LOVED IT! Hooray!! Not to mention we actually loved this Tuscan Tortellini too!
Is Tortellini Pasta?
Tortellini is ring-shaped pasta.
Tortellini is usually stuffed with a mix of meat (pork loin, raw prosciutto, Mortadella), and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
How Do You Know When Tortellini Is Done?
It is easy to tell when tortellini is done.
Tortellini will puff up slightly and float to the top of the water when done.
You don’t need to set the timer, just keep an eye on the pot.
Can You Cook Tortellini From Frozen?
Yes, tortellini can be cooked from frozen.
Just bring 4 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon salt to boil for each pound of tortellini.
Cook until the tortellini floats.
- 1 pkg fresh tortellini
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Tuscan Italian Salad Dressing
- 1 Carrot Sliced
- 1 Head of broccoli steamed
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese Shredded
- Cook the tortellini, but please don't over cook!!! It will turn to mush in the pan if you do.
- Break up the broccoli and use a peeler to cut the carrots.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan and add the veggies. Be careful with the broccoli, but cook until the carrots begin to brown a little.
- Add the garlic for about a minute.
- Add the pasta and the dressing.
- Stir every minute or so until the pasta begins to get golden a little on the edges.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately!