This upside pizza casserole recipe is an older post that we used to make fairly often and slowly with time we forgot about it. At least until this fall. It’s come back into our lives so I took new photos and popped it back up here just so you could enjoy it too! Enjoy reading this post from years ago and make this delicious recipe!
It is quite possible that we hurried and took this picture without paying any attention to the fact that you can’t see all of the saucy goodness just so that we could hurry and eat before The Biggest Loser finale came on. Such priorities, I know. It also took me quite a while to post the upside down pizza casserole because I have gotten so behind on recipes lately.
I saw this recipe on Jomade a bit back and was excited to try it out. We happened to really enjoy this dish. We love pizza, we love comfort food and we love to make things that are a twist on the norm. This was perfect. It seriously was really good.
I wanted to point out that while we did make the crust you could totally just buy pizza dough and roll it out to put on top. Which is why I’ve included this recipe in the quick dishes section. You can totally shortcut it for a go to meal on a busy day. We did think that it was a bit too bready so next time we will either make two pans and take one to a neighbor or cut the pizza dough in half.
How Long Will Left-over Pizza Keep?
Left over pizza will last about 5 days in the refrigerator.
It should be tightly wrapped in plastic or foil.
Does Pepperoni Have To Be Refrigerated?
Pepperoni, whole and unopened, can be stored indefinitely in the refrigerator or up to 6 weeks in the pantry.
Once it has been opened, it must be refrigerated.
Pepperoni will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Can You Use Spaghetti Sauce for Pizza Sauce?
Pizza Sauce is usually thicker than spaghetti sauce, which contains more water.
Spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce are made from the same basic ingredients.
Spaghetti sauce can be used in place of pizza sauce.
Upside Down Pizza Casserole
Upside Down Pizza Casserole
- 26 oz pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- Pepperoni to taste
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 4 1/4 white bread flour
- 1/1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 clove garlic
- In a glass measuring cup, add the sugar, water, and yeast.
- Allow to foam for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the butter and stir gently.
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl, whisk to combine and then add the yeast mixture.
- Stir until the dough comes together then place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel to rise for 1-2 hours.
- When you are ready to make the pizza preheat oven to 375*.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet.
- Add spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce and stir to combine.
- In a 2 quart baking dish add the spaghetti sauce mixture. and top with cheese then the pepperoni.
- On a flat, lightly floured surface roll dough out to the size a little bigger then the baking dish.
- Put dough over the top of the sauce.
- Roll dough edges under to seal the sauce in and make it look nice.
- Melt butter and add crushed garlic.
- Brush butter mixture on top of dough.
- Add a sprinkle of Italian seasoning if you'd like.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Let stand 10 Minutes.