I just want to say that while some people beat themselves up about their parenting and the mistakes they make or how exhausting it is I am pretty sure I am rocking it as a mom. GASP! These whole wheat potato rolls are kind of all the proof you need. And we are known for our rolls around here, they are the BEST! Regular potato rolls, sweet potato rolls, and our homemade rolls! And it’s all about the butter in this one, you want lots in side and a nice slather on top after baking. Something like Land O’ Lakes.
You see, I think bread is love, in fact I hashtag it on instagram often because it’s the truth. Our girls have learned that there is nothing more exciting than hot rolls, fresh out of the oven for dinner. And they can smell it for miles! They come pounding down the stairs, “are we having rolls with jam tonight?!” Yes, yes we are. And there are hugs to be had for a very long time. Don’t mind that two seconds later the 4 year old is crying that the 8 year old got the “greeeeeeeeeeeen cuuuuuuuuuuuuup! And she knew I was going to waaaaaaannnnnnnnnt iiiiiiiiiiiit!”.
Oh m gosh, the cup issues. I had them as a kid too. General rule, always buy only clear cups in the exact same size. But other than that, world’s best mom because I know how to bust out soft and fluffy whole wheat rolls. And these are NOT like those horribly dry whole wheat rolls at the store. I hate those. We only eat wheat bread (unless it’s french toast), but if we are out and about and a roll basket comes around with white or wheat I totally go white because I know the wheat will be horrid. These on the other hand are so squishy you can act like you’re 6 and roll the bread up into a ball. Don’t lie, I know you did it and so did I. Proceed with your childhood memories and tell your children to love you more for being so awesome.
Is Unbleached Flour the Same as Whole Wheat Flour?
There is a big difference between unbleached flour and whole wheat flour.
Unbleached flour is just white flour that hasn’t been bleached.
Unbleached and white flour consist almost entirely of the inside of the wheat berry that it was milled from.
Whole wheat flour, on the other hand contains the germ and bran of the wheat as well as the inside part of the wheat berry.
Can You Use White Flour Instead of Whole Wheat Flour in Recipes?
Whole wheat flour is denser and heavier than regular white flour.
So, if you are substituting white flour for whole wheat, you will need to use more flour.
Can You Use Real Mashed Potatoes in Potato Rolls?
You can use instant mashed potato flakes, instant mashed potatoes that have been made up, or you can use real mashed potatoes.
More BREAD SIDES You’ll Love:
- Homemade Naan
- Best Potato Rolls
- Easy No Knead Artisan Bread
- One Hour Rolls
- 7-Up Biscuits
- Sweet Potato Rolls
- Herbed Focaccia Bread
- Cheesy Ranch Rolls
- All our BREAD RECIPES here!
Whole Wheat Potato Rolls
Whole Wheat Potato Rolls
- 3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks 3/4 cup land o'lakes unsalted butter
- 1 cup potato flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast or 2 tablespoons regular yeast. we use instant
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- *1/3 cup additional butter softened
- heat a medium sauce pan over medium heat and add the milk.
- cook until the edges begin to foam and froth, but do not allow it to boil. there will be a little layer of the milk "skin" on top.
- remove from heat and add the sugar, butter, potato flakes and salt.
- stir thoroughly and allow to cool to luke warm.
- add the yeast, stir and then add the eggs, stirring until they are mixed in.
- place the flour in a large bowl. pour the milk mixture in and stir until the dough has come together, but is still soft. sometimes we only use like 6- 6 1/2 cups of flour. this is not like a bread dough. it is a slightly sticky dough.
- cover the bowl with a towel or saran wrap.
- let dough rise for one hour. push down and divide dough into 3 parts.
- roll out one portion at a time to 1/2" thick and butter 1/2 of dough with a few pats of butter.
- fold the unbuttered dough over the buttered dough and press to seal. cut into 1" wide strips.
- pick up one strip at a time and tie into knots.
- place on lightly greased cookie sheet and cover with a towel.
- let rise for 1-2 hours more or until doubled in size.
- bake at 350 until golden brown, 14-20 min