1 1/2cups188 grams whole wheat flour or buckwheat flour for a gluten-free version*
3/4cup86 grams Dutch-process cocoa powder or Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder, sifted if lumpy
1 1/3cups266 grams light brown sugar, raw sugar, or coconut sugar
2large eggsroom temperature
2/3cup178 grams natural almond butter (the kind with just almonds and salt), room temperature
3/4cup168 grams unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
1 1/2teaspoonsvanilla extract
1 1/2cups255 grams semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips*
2/3cup88 grams dried tart cherries
1. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the sugar, eggs, almond butter, melted coconut oil or butter, and vanilla until well combined.
4. Add the flour mixture and beat just until combined.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips and dried cherries. The dough will be thick and sticky like brownie batter.
6. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm enough to roll into balls.
7. Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175ºC) and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
8. Roll the dough into sixteen 1 3/4" (82 gram) balls and place 4" apart on the baking sheet.
9. Bake for 11-14 minutes or until the tops of the cookies are no longer wet in the middle.
10. The cookies will be very soft when you remove them from the oven but will continue to cook on the pan and will firm up considerably as they cool.
11. Let cool completely on the baking sheet.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
* Buckwheat is naturally gluten-free but not all buckwheat is manufactured in a gluten-free facility. Make sure it, along with all your ingredients, are certified gluten-free, if necessary. ** I used about 1 cup of chocolate chips in the dough and I placed the other 1/2 cup on top of the cookie dough balls. It has no effect on the taste but makes them prettier!** For dairy-free, use coconut oil and dairy-free chocolate chips.store in an airtight container
Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies
Amount Per Serving (1 g)
Calories 9Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Vitamin A 30IU1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.