We love full flavor in our meals and one of our tricks to get great flavor without adding sauces or a gazillion spices is to just caramelize onions and peppers. They are both done in the same way, but we have noticed that not many think to caramelize the peppers and not just the onions. So, Cade thought it would be a good idea to share a little how to caramelize peppers post and I entirely agree.
1. Start with a stainless steel pan. Nonstick is fine if you must, but a stainless pan allows those brown bits (fond) to develop on the pan which makes for more flavorful veggies when you scrape it up.
2. Add a little butter, olive oil or combination to the pan and heat it up.
3. Add your sliced peppers to the pan, which will be a huge pile, but don’t worry it will shrink down as you can see.
4.Turn the pan down to medium low and allow to cook, stirring about every 10 minutes until caramelized, about 40-50 minutes.
Tip: Some recipes call for water, alcohol or other liquids, we prefer that caramelized buttery taste so we don’t deglaze, instead we just scrape up the bits as we stir. You may add a little liquid if you’d like.
Lemon Asparagus Pasta
- 2 Hardboiled Eggs, chopped (How to Hardboil the Perfect Egg)
- 1/2 Bundle of Asparagus, tips for preparing asparagus
- 6 Slices Speck, thin cut, pan fried and drained
- 1 Lemon, zested in one bowl and juiced in another
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Basil, Fresh, chopped
- 1/4-1/3 Cup Parmesan, Fresh, Grated
- 1/2 package Pasta
- If you haven't already, snap the ends of the asparagus (see tips above) and place them on the pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss to evenly coat.
- Place in the oven and roast for 8-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and chop into 1 1/2"-2" pieces.
- Heat a large pot of water over high heat.
- Add a few pinches of salt and once it begins to boil add the pasta.
- Turn the heat down to medium-high and cook until aldente.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss with the warm pasta, asparagus and egg.
- Top with crumbled speck, parmesan, lemon zest and basil.