I love a good, homestyle potato salad. I do not like it to have pickles or onions, but there is something so homey about a fantastic potato salad. Occasionally I like to mix it up and do one that does not involve mayo or that has different flavors to it like this bacon potato salad. I love me some classics. This is definitely a classic, but the surprise ingredient is…
How Long Will Potato Salad Keep?
First of all, potato salad that has been left out for more than 2 hours, should be discarded.
You can keep potato salad in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
It should be covered well and kept cold till ready to serve.
Why Won’t Boiled Eggs Peel?
The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel.
To prevent shells from sticking, try using either vinegar and salt or baking soda when boiling your eggs.
How Do You Know If A Boiled Egg Is Done?
Soft boiled eggs will be done in 3 1/2 minutes after the water begins to boil.
The yolk will be runny and the white just set.
Medium boiled eggs take about 4-4 1/2 minutes to cook, after the water begins to boil.
The white will be set and the yolk will be almost set but still moist.
Hard boiled eggs should be boiled for 7-8 minutes after the water comes to a boil.
After cooking for the right amount of time, immediately place the eggs in cold water to stop the cooking process.
Another way to time hard boiled eggs is to bring the water to a full boil, then remove from the stove.
Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 15 minutes, then cool in cold water.
Bacon Potato Salad
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Bacon Potato Salad
- 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard scant
- 2 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3/4 Cup Mayo Light
- 8 Slices Bacon cooked, chopped, reserving 2 Tablespoons Bacon Grease
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Eggs hard boiled, chopped
- 5 Potatoes
- Heat water in a large pot over medium heat, and add a couple pinches of salt.
- Peel the potatoes and chop them into chunks.
- Place the potatoes in the water and cook until tender.
- Remove from the heat, drain the potatoes and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl combine the dijon, sugar, apple cider vinegar, mayo and reserved bacon grease.
- Whisk together and season as needed.
- Fold the potatoes, and eggs into the potato salad. I prefer to leave the bacon out until right before serving, but it's up to you.
- Refrigerate for 1-4 hours before serving.