I like homemade vs store bought. I just think that it’s better to try and use fresh ingredients or make things from scratch. A lot of times it’s cheaper too. Plus the food tastes better than processed junk from the store. This is our caramel sauce and it’s perfect for ice cream etc.
Is Caramel Sauce The Same As Butterscotch?
Butterscotch and caramel are not the same.
Caramel is a mix of white granulated sugar, heavy whipping cream, butter, and a dash of vanilla.
Butterscotch is made with brown sugar instead of granulated, and has more of a brown sugar flavor.
Does Caramel Sauce Have To Be Refrigerated?
Caramel sauce should be cooled at room temperature and then put in a glass jar in the refrigerator.
Caramel sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Can You Freeze Caramel Sauce?
You can freeze caramel sauce for up to 3 months.
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Recipe By Me
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1 3/4 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- A pinch of salt
- In a medium saucepan heat the water and sugar over medium-low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Turn the heat up to medium and boil until the sugar turns a caramel color. Do not walk away. The sugar can easily burn. This takes about 5-10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and slowly add the cream. Be careful not to go too fast because it will bubble and pop.
- Add the salt and vanilla.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring the whole time for another 1-3 minutes or until smooth.
- Let cool and thicken for 1-3 hours.