I’m ready for it. Go ahead and let me have it about how darn long I took to post our easy hoagie rolls recipe. And if you’re new here I’ll let you in on my story. It’s not a very exciting one, but it is the truth.
Years ago I posted our favorite recipe for FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES. It’s a slow cooker recipe with only a few ingredients, all of which are generally on hand anyway, so it makes it easy to bust out a comfort foods dinner without a trip to the grocery store. We even make our own hoagie rolls because it goes so fast it’s easier for me than to remember to run to the store. The only problem is, I didn’t think everyone else would want to make them too, but boy was I wrong!
At first there was a comment saying they would like the recipe and I had stated I would post it, but I forgot and got busy aka side tracked with the gazillion recipes always floating around in my head. And then over the past few months that recipe has gotten really popular and I not only started getting more comments, but emails too! Awwww shoot. I totally had forgotten about posting the recipe. So I put it into my back pocket to do it and then forgot again.
Last week we were eating french dips for dinner when, BAM! I remembered that I was going to photograph them. I had hardly any light left and we were literally eating them so I quickly threw the hoagies on a board, snapped a few shots (you can even see which hoagies I rubbed a little butter on and which I did not. Butter is always best, but Cade and I had decided to forgo it this one time.) and now here we are. You’ll have to forgive the photos and trust me on the method because as you can see they turn out perfect. Even if I hadn’t shaped them beautifully for photos.
How Long Will Hoagie Rolls Keep?
Wrap the rolls well, or place in a zip lock bag.
Hoagie rolls will keep for 5-7 days at room temperature.
Can Hoagie Rolls Be Frozen?
To freeze hoagie rolls and buns, place them inside a freezer bag and seal tightly.
Hoagie rolls will keep 3 months in the freezer.
What Is a Hoagie Roll?
A hoagie roll is a type of long flat roll used to prepare hoagie sandwiches.
A Hoagie is the same thing as a Sub sandwich, hero sandwich, or grinder.
Easy Hoagie Rolls
- 1 3/4 Cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon Instant Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 3 3/4 Cup Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Soft Unsalted Butter, cubed
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, add the warm water, yeast, sugar, and honey.
- Allow to foam up for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and using a dough hook mix for 4 minutes on low.
- Increase the speed to medium and add the salt, mixing for another 2 minutes.
- Finally, add the softened butter and mix for another minute.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning over to coat, cover with a towel and allow to rise for 1 to 2 hours.
- Place a silpat or parchment paper on a baking sheet and shape the dough into 8 hoagies. I like to flatten each piece into a rectangle, pinch the long edge closed and tightly roll it then pinch the seam and ends closed (just like you would roll dough for a log of cinnamon roll dough).
- Place seam side down and repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover lightly with a towel and allow to rise another 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 and bake for 16 to 22 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when they are lightly golden and feel hard when you tap the crust.
- Rub with a little butter if desired and allow to cool.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 270 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 11.4mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 49.1g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3.9g Protein: 6.7g