I have to laugh a little each time I pull up our site because there’s always one recipe, year after year that is pulling in the most readers. EVERY. YEAR. Every day. Our cheesy ground beef and rice casserole is seriously never going to be topped. It’s easy, everyone’s kids love it, and you all love making your own changes like different veggies, spices etc. We love that you love it! So the other day I had some leftover rice and we all have been there, what to do with left over rice… well cheesy ground beef and rice fried cakes could be good!
So we took the day old rice, ok it was two days old, life happens but anyway, I mixed in a little ground beef, steamed carrots and frozen peas (I just set them in a bowl of room temperature water to defrost), a little cheese, seasoning, and eggs and bread crumbs to glue it all together. I let our 5 year old mix it all in a big bowl then we drizzled a little oil in a pan and scooped the mixture in. Don’t worry about it sticking together yet, just scoop piles and press them out into circles with the back of the spoon. As the fry it will be like hashbrowns and all stick together.
As they were cooking I kept thinking that the creaminess of the casserole is what really makes it good so I whipped up a 5 minute white sauce. It’s crazy easy, just butter in a pan, throw in flour, whisk it together and then whisk in milk or cream, season to taste and add a pinch of nutmeg because for some reason it makes it awesome without tasting like nutmeg. We served the sauce over the cakes and could not stop eating them! It was so stinking easy too. Dinner probably took 20 minutes and you could easily just use whatever leftovers you have on hand, zucchini, chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce…
Can Rice be Cooked in the Oven?
Rice can be cooked in the oven for a quick, no hassle meal.
Grease a baking container and add 1 cup rice.
Add about 1 2/3 cups of water and cover.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes for white rice and about an hour for brown rice.
All of the liquid should be absorbed and the rice should be tender.
If all the liquid is not absorbed, bake a little longer.
Is Rice Gluten Free?
Yes, rice is gluten free.
This includes brown rice, white rice and wild rice.
Can You Reheat Rice?
Rice is more problematic than some other leftover foods as it may contain bacteria.
To avoid any contamination, left over rice should be cooled quickly and stored in the refrigerator.
When reheating rice, make sure it is piping hot throughout.
Add a few tablespoons of water and heat for 3-4 minutes in the microwave.
Or, add a little water and simmer in a covered skillet, stirring often, until hot clear through.
Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Fried Cakes
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Fried Cakes
- 2 Cups Cooked Rice
- 1/2-3/4 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Cup Peas defrosted
- 1 Cup Sliced Carrots steamed
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Eggs whisked
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Bread Crumbs
For the Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk or Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Rice Cakes
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the ground beef until done, stirring occasionally over medium high heat, about 3-5 minutes.
- Drain well.
- In a large bowl, mix the rice, ground beef, peas, carrots, cheese, bread crumbs, eggs, and seasonings.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Using a large spoon, scoop a mound of the rice mixture into the pan and press flat with the spoon.
- Repeat 2-3 more times depending on the size of the pan and do not let the cakes touch or they will be stuck together and hard to turn.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden and flip over, repeating the cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Meanwhile, add butter to a saucepan over medium heat and once melted, quickly whisk in the flour.
- Cook, whisking the entire time for 30 seconds and then whisk in the milk.
- Season to taste and serve over the rice cakes.