There’s nothing like lasagna for comfort food but this chicken cordon bleu lasagna is even more creamy, gooey and totally awesome.
Can You Make Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna Ahead of Time?
Chicken cordon bleu lasagna is a great recipe to make ahead of time and freeze.
If you plan on going this route, I find it best to follow the instructions up to the baking step.
Make sure you have prepared the casserole in a freezer safe container and seal it very tightly.
It will keep in a freezer for 2-3 months.
Simply remove from the freezer, thaw and bake until warmed through (about an hour).
It’s just perfect for a busy weeknight.
I love a good lasagna as does Cade. Our girls are starting to enjoy it more and more which I have to say is so fun, and the little guy, well he’s still too young. Lately we’ve been playing around with different flavors and thought it was about time we shared our chicken cordon bleu lasagna from our Cookbook!
Can You Assemble Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna ahead of time?
This is a good recipe to make the day before. If you just need to make it a day ahead, you could refrigerate it before baking it.
And don’t even try to tell me you don’t say “bleu” all French like in your head whenever you read it. I definitely do, but I’m HORRID at accents so I’d never say it out loud. Actually, Cade is 100 times worse. Our friend is from Costa Rica and whenever he tries to tell me something she said I’m like, dude that’s not even close. It’s pretty hilarious.
Ok, this lasagna is so, so easy to make. The important thing is to add some fresh nutmeg to your white sauce. Trust me on this one. You will not even notice that it’s in there but I promise it will change everything.
We also love to just use a rotisserie chicken versus cooking up our own. It’s the perfect amount of meat and if I have too much meat I can easily make chicken salad another day. But the real winner? Well that’s those golden, buttery panko bread crumbs on top of course! YUM!!! They add a nice little crunch and are totally my favorite part.
How Long Will Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna Keep in the Refrigerator?
Properly stored, cooked lasagna will last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
For the Sauce
- 5 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 1/2 Cups Milk
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 1/3 Cup Swiss Cheese grated
- 9 ounces Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles
- 3 Cups Chicken cooked (we use rotisserie)
- 2 Cups Ham chopped
- 2 Cups Swiss Cheese Shredded
- 1 1/2 Cups Mozzarella shredded
- 1/4 Cup Pecorino Romano
- 2/3 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Parsley for garnish
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray an 8x13" baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, add the butter.
- Once the butter is melted add the garlic, stirring occasionally for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes or until nutty and fragrant but not brown.
- Whisk in the cream and milk.
- Add the salt, bay leaf and nutmeg and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the 1/2 cup pecorino and 1/3 cup swiss cheeses and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a nonstick pan over medium heat add the butter.
- Once melted stir in the bread crumbs and stir occasionally until lightly golden.
- Set aside.
- Scoop 1/3 cup of of the sauce in the bottom of the dish.
- Add 4 lasagna noodles to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Scoop 2/3 cup more of the sauce on top f the noodles followed by a scoop of the chicken and ham, 1/2 cup swiss and a pinch of pecorino cheese.
- Repeat with another set of noodles, sauce, meats and cheeses until you get to the final noodle layer then end with sauce and all of the cheeses including the mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 minutes with foil that has been sprayed with nonstick spray over the top.
- After 20 minutes remove the foil, top with breadcrumbs and bake an additional 20 minutes until the cheese is gooey and noodles are soft.
- Let sit 10 minutes and serve.