I don’t know that anyone hasn’t had crash potatoes, but just in case I thought I would post it. This crashed potatoes recipe is from Pioneer Woman and we love it. I like to let the edges get extra crispy. My goodness these are good.
I love recipes that seem too simple to ever be worth my time. They always, always end up being our favorite recipes. But really, it’s all about those crispy edges. The olive oil is amazing too. Sometimes you just have to take things back to the basics. We hardly ever have potatoes. Instead we tend to be pretty heavy with the vegetables in a variety of colors, but winter hits and potatoes are suddenly one of our favorite sides. I guess it’s comfort food in a way. And they are so easy to make as a side dish and we all know how I despise thinking up side dishes.
What Are Crash Potatoes?
Crash potatoes are potatoes that have been boiled, smashed, and baked till crispy on the surface.
Are New Potatoes Just Small Yukon Gold Potatoes?
New potatoes are not a particular variety; they just refer to the freshly harvested potatoes of a new season.
“New” potatoes are often small and have tender skins that don’t need to be peeled.
Small red potatoes can always be used when a recipe calls for “new potatoes”.
Are Potatoes A Vegetable?
Potatoes are classified as Vegetable.
But, they are actually starch.
Potatoes offer vitamin B6, vitamin C and iron, and are an excellent source of potassium.
- 12 New Potatoes, whole or Other Small Round Potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt To Taste
- Black Pepper To Taste
- Rosemary, or Other Herbs Of Choice To Taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Bring a pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add in potatoes and cook them until they are fork-tender.12 New Potatoes
- Drizzle a cookie sheet pan with olive oil. Place tender potatoes on the sheet pan.3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Using a potato masher, gently press down each potato until it slightly mashes, then push the excess out of the masher back on top of the potatoes and rotate the potato masher 90 degrees and smash again. Drizzle the tops of each crushed potato generously with more olive oil.
- Sprinkle potatoes with kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and fresh chopped rosemary.Kosher Salt To Taste, Black Pepper To Taste, Rosemary
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and sizzling.