Buttery creamy mashed potatoes all done in 30 minutes in the Instant Pot! This is the best mashed potatoes recipe for Thanksgiving!
Yes, we have the perfect mashed potato recipe already posted on the blog, but I love that this recipe can all be done in the Instant Pot freeing up the stove top for other things (hello No Fuss Stuffing!). And the flavor of Yukon gold potatoes just can’t be beat!
Use your Instant Pot for these delicious mashed potatoes your entire family will enjoy. This step-by-step recipe will help you get the perfect consistency and taste.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
You only need 5 ingredients to make these perfect mashed potatoes. Here is what you will need:
- Yukon Gold Potatoes: You will need about 8 potatoes (or 4-5 large).
- PRO TIP: You can also use Russet potatoes if desired, but the taste of Yukon gold is unbeatable.
- Salt: Adds flavor
- Cream Cheese: Use full fat, no low fat or fat free.
- Whole Milk: Cream can also be used.
- Butter: Adds flavor and richness
The measurements for each ingredient are listed in the recipe card at the end of the post.
How to Make the Best Mashed Potatoes Video
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot. It’s easy peasy!
- Set the cream cheese out to come to room temperature.
- Melt the butter on the stove top or in the microwave.
- Peel and quarter the potatoes.
- Add the potatoes to the Instant Pot and add enough water to cover them. Add the salt.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and seal it. Set to manual high heat and pressure cook for 8 minutes.
- Measure the milk in a glass measuring cup and warm the milk in the microwave.
- When the potatoes are done, quick release the IP and drain the potatoes. Leave the potatoes in the pot and let them steam dry for a few minutes.
- Smash the potatoes with a potato masher or ricer. Then add the butter and stir, and then add the cream cheese and warmed milk.
- Season to taste.
The complete instructions can be found in the recipe card at the end of this post. Keep scrolling for all the details!
Best Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes
The best potatoes for mashing are the starchy potatoes – Yukon gold, Russet or Idaho. They have a fluffy texture that breaks down easily while mashing.
If you want to add additional flavors to these creamy mashed potatoes, you could add cooked crumbled bacon bits after cooking and mashing the potatoes. You could also add sauteed or roasted minced garlic. Adding any type of fresh herb would also be a great option…minced rosemary, thyme, parsley, chives, etc. One more possibility would be to add cheese. A nice sharp cheddar that has been grated finely would melt beautifully and add great flavor.
Tools to Use for Mashed Potatoes
I had used a potato masher my whole life and then someone told me about a potato ricer, and I’ll never go back. I mean, a potato masher does the job fine, but a ricer gives the smoothest texture.
Can This Recipe Be Made on the Stove Top?
Yes, it absolutely can. I will actually point you to our other mashed potatoes post for making mashed potatoes the traditional way.
Pairs well with
How to Store and Reheat Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep for 4-5 day.
To reheat mashed potatoes, place them in a pan or dutch oven on the stove top and warm them up over low heat stirring occasionally. You can also reheat them in the oven in a baking dish, covered with foil at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Thanksgiving is not complete without the creamiest and best mashed potatoes recipe ever! Yukon gold potatoes make the tastiest mashed potatoes and the Instant Pot makes this recipe quick and easy!
More Irresistible Potato Recipes:
- Smoky Steak and Potato Recipe
- Herb and Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes
- Funeral Potatoes
- Oven Baked Potatoes with Crispy Skins
- Potato Salad
- Instant Pot Green Beans and Potatoes
- Potato Casserole
- Scalloped Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes, about 8 potatoes, or 4-5 large
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, full fat
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk, or cream
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- Salt, to taste
- Set out the cream cheese.4 oz Cream Cheese
- Place the butter in a small saucepan to melt.3 Tablespoons Butter
- Peel the potatoes and quarter them.2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Add the potatoes to the Instant pot and pour in water just to cover them.
- Add the salt and stir gently.1 teaspoon Salt
- Press Manual, high heat and seal the lid.
- Pressure cook for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, measure the milk in a glass measuring cup and warm the milk in the microwave.1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- Once the potatoes are done, quick release the pressure and drain the potatoes, leaving them in the pot.
- Allow the potatoes to steam dry for a couple of minutes and then smash well with a potato masher or ricer until no lumps remain.
- Stir in the melted butter, then the cream cheese and finally the warmed milk.
- Taste and season with salt.Salt