Are Butternut Squash Paleo?
Paleo Foods: Butternut Squash.
Butternut squash is a beloved winter squash — they’re one of the sweetest varieties of winter squash, and and they have a slightly nutty taste, similar to that of pumpkin.
Butternut squash is a good source of Vitamin A (the pre-Vitamin A form), Vitamin C, minerals and carbohydrate.
This is the number one recipe for soup in my book right now. Cade’s as well actually. Our oldest liked it, the 5 year old ate it. Good enough for me. You can’t expect everything to be a kid pleaser and as long as they didn’t spit it out I’m happy because sometimes dinner is all about us and what we want. And I wanted Creamy Tortellini Butternut Squash Soup.
Can You Freeze Creamy Tortellini Butternut Squash Soup?
Freezing Creamy Tortellini Butternut Squash Soup. … I freeze it all the time. Pour the cooled soup into ziplock bags and freeze flat.
Takes up the least space in the freezer.
Last year around this time I was at my sweet friend, Vanetta’s baby shower. It was the cutest thing I have ever been to because Sue Carbonell put it on. Sue is crazy talented with all things pretty and entertaining. She seriously could kill it as a blogger if she had time because everything always turns out amazing and it’s because of her little touches and attention to detail. Anyway, she set up three tables which were decorated beautifully and she served a four course meal, maybe more but let’s be honest it was a long time ago. I know what you’re thinking but everything was simple so it wasn’t any different than preparing a bunch of treats.
I love that we start off by just sticking a butternut squash, sweet potato and some baby carrots in the oven to roast. No need to peel and chop the butternut, just cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and roast it whole then you can scoop out the meat when it’s done. You do need to be sure to grab the carrots out of the oven long before the rest is done or they will be burned. And yes, you can use regular carrots but 1. we generally have baby on hand for the kids’ lunches and 2. they are a little sweeter which is delicious.
Then just puree everything together, dump in the liquid and seasoning and simmer away. If you hate butternut squash, butternut soup or any squash for that matter, this is truly the soup for you. It’s fantastic and you’ll find yourself loving when you get a bite with tortellini!
Can Tortellini Go Bad?
Dried tortellini doesn’t need to be refrigerated, but you should still look for an expiration date.
Evaluate how long the tortellini has been in storage if the package was opened.
For example, leftover or opened fresh tortellini can safely be stored in the refrigerator at 40 F. for up to three days.
Creamy Tortellini Butternut Squash Soup
Creamy Tortellini Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 Medium to Large Butternut Squash
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 20 Baby Carrots
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth, or vegetable
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream *see note for options*
- 1 1/4 Teaspoons Lemon Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Salt, beginning with 1 and adding per instructions
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Chopped Parsley
- 7 ounce Box Cheese Tortellini
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut open the squash and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place the squash, carrots and sweet potato on a baking sheet, rolling the carrots in any oil and salt that ended up on the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove the carrots and continue to bake for 30-45 minutes or until the sweet potato and squash are tender.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Scoop the meat out of the squash and sweet potato into a blender.
- Add the carrots and garlic and puree until smooth. You may add a little of the broth if your blender needs help making the mixture smooth.
- Add the squash mixture, broth, cream lemon pepper and brown sugar to a large pot.
- Heat over medium heat until it begins to simmer then turn to low.
- Season with salt adding the teaspoon then any additional salt as needed.
- Add the pepper and parsley and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the tortellini per package instructions.
- To serve, add the tortellini into the pot and cook for another 2 minutes to bring everything to the same temperature and serve immediately.