Fall rolls around, the weather cools down, and I crave a warm creamy bowl of soup. That’s where this butternut squash soup recipe comes on the scene.
It is completely plant based, vegan and so flavorful! A healthy homemade soup is my favorite way to warm up from the inside out. Good heavens I can’t stand being cold! Like DESPISE it. If Utah wasn’t so beautiful and so great to raise a family I’d be outta here.
5 Day Detox Program
This soup is part of a series of meals that we use during our Your Super detox.
It’s a 5 day- 2 smoothies and one meal a day detox incorporating more plant based super foods into your diet. It has been incredible and the benefits, especially for my parents and friends have been unreal, from weight loss to going off of arthritis medications, less bloating to more energy. You can use our code: osb15 for a discount and we will be sure to link at the bottom of the post to recipes you can use. It’s just 5 days!! Anyone can do that!
We have been eating more meatless meals lately, and it feels great! This butternut squash soup recipe is one we will be making all fall and winter long! It starts with roasted butternut squash which makes the most delicious base for a flavorful health-conscious meal.
What Ingredients Do You Need for Butternut Squash Soup?
Get ready for the most delicious vegan soup you’ve ever had! You’ll want to fill your basket up in the produce section first, and then grab a couple of other items to round it out and garnish it to perfection. Here is what you will need:
- Butternut Squash
- Acorn Squash
- Sweet Potato
- Yellow Onion
- Olive Oil
- Coconut Milk
- Vegetable Stock
- Mellow Yellow
- Smoked Paprika
- Hemp Seeds (hulled)
- Coconut Milk
The recipe card below contains all the measurements for each ingredient.
How Do You Make Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
We are going to start by roasting several ingredients to deepen the rich nutty flavor of the squash and then we throw everything together for the soup in the blender to make it super creamy. Here are the basic steps. The recipe card contains all the detailed instructions.
- Roast the butternut squash, onions, acorn squash, sweet potato, and garlic cloves.
- Blend all the veggies and liquids together. We love to use our Blendtec blender, but you could leave it in the pot and use an immersion blender as well.
- Simmer on the stove top and add the Mellow Yellow and salt to taste.
- Prep and add the garnishes.
What to Eat with Butternut Squash Soup
So these aren’t at all vegan or healthy, but when I have soup, I must have carbs to sop up all the soup. These are a few of our favorite dunkable carbs:
What are Pepitas?
Pepitas are the seeds from a specific kind of pumpkin. We love to toast them with a little smoked paprika for this recipe to add as a garnish. They add a great pop of flavor and texture to this soup.
Can Butternut Squash Soup Be Made Ahead of Time?
This is a great soup for making ahead of time and reheating. It keeps its taste and holds its texture perfectly. Warm it up on the stove top until your desired temperature.
Is Butternut Squash Good For You?
Butternut squash is very rich in vitamins and minerals and antioxidants, which help fight disease.
Butternut squash is also rich in fiber and low in calories.
How Long Will Butternut Squash Soup Keep?
Butternut squash soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can Butternut Squash Soup Be Frozen?
If your butternut squash soup is dairy-free, let it cool, transfer to heavy duty freezer bags, and freeze.
If your soup contains milk or cream, make the soup, but don’t add the cream or milk. Cool and freeze. Add the cream or mild when you warm it up to serve it.
Butternut Squash Soup in the Slow Cooker
To make this soup in the slow cooker, still roast everything in the oven first and blend in the blender. Then add everything to the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours. Then garnish as directed.
Butternut Squash Soup in the Instant Pot
To make this butternut squash soup recipe in the Instant Pot, add everything except the coconut milk and garnishes into the Instant Pot and cook on “Manual” for 8 minutes. Then pour everything into the blender and purée it. Pour it back into the Instant Pot and cook on “Manual” for another 3 minutes. Then garnish as directed.
You’re going to love this plant based vegan butternut squash soup recipe! It’s time for crisp air, fires in the fireplace, soft warm blankets, cozy slippers and a bowl of this soup!
- Smoothies- Add in your super mixes to each smoothie and don’t use dairy or sweeteners
Cold Buster Green Smoothie-Detox Approved
Vegan Bolognese eaten over spiralized veggies
More SOUP RECIPES You’ll Love:
- Cheesy Southwestern Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Taco Soup
- Zuppa Toscana
- Beef Stew
- Egg Drop Soup
- Cauliflower Chowder
- All our SOUP RECIPES here!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Plant Based Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 1/2 Butternut Squash peeled and chopped
- 1/2 Acorn Squash peeled and chopped
- 1 Sweet Potato small
- 1/2 Yellow Onion cut in large chunks
- Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Can Coconut Milk
- 2 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 teaspoons Mellow Yellow or to taste
- 1/4 Cup Pepitas
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 teaspoons hemp seeds hulled
- Cilantro for garnish
- Coconut Milk for drizzle
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scatter the butternut squash, onions, acorn squash and sweet potato on the pan. Prick the sweet potato a few times with a fork and drizzle everything with a tiny bit of olive oil.
- Wrap the garlic cloves with their paper still on in a ball of tinfoil.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until everything is tender, flipping things over as needed so one side doesn’t over brown.
- Place all veggies, squeezing the garlic out of their papers, coconut milk, and vegetables stock in a blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour everything into a large pot and cook over medium heat until simmering. Stir in the mellow yellow as well as any salt to taste.
- In a small, nonstick pan over medium heat, sprinkle the pepitas with the smoked paprika and cook, stirring occasionally until the spices stick, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with pepitas, cilantro, hulled hemp seeds and a drizzle of coconut milk!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.