I saw this recipe for Penne with Braised Short Ribs by Giada a long time ago, but I kept forgetting to make it. I’ve finally gotten around to it and it was delicious. I’ve never had pasta with short ribs before! The sauce is rich and full, and the meat is so tender. It’s the perfect dish to let cook all day and serve to guests that evening.
What is the Difference Between Short Ribs and Spare Ribs?
Beef short ribs are the equivalent of spare ribs in pork.
Beef short ribs are usually larger and meatier than pork spare ribs.
How Do You Know When Pasta Is Done?
The only way to know for sure if pasta is done is to taste it.
Pasta should be cooked al dente, or firm to the bite.
How Long Will Cooked Pasta Keep?
Properly stored, pasta should keep for 3-5 days.
Cooked pasta should be kept in the refrigerator in a shallow container with a lid.
Penne With Braised Short Ribs
Penne with Braised Short Ribs
recipe by Giada De Laurentiis
- 4 pounds short ribs beef
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion large, diced
- 3 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 5 tomatoes Roma, cut into eighths
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 cups beef broth low-sodium
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/4 cup Parmesan freshly grated
- 1/4 cup Parsley chopped fresh flat-leaf
- Place an oven rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Season the ribs with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a large heavy-bottomed stock pot heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- In batches, add the ribs and brown on all sides, for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the ribs and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, wine and mustard.
- Bring the entire mixture to a boil and scrape up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan.
- Return the ribs to the pan, and add the beef broth; cover the pan and place in the oven for 2 1/2 hours until the meat is tender and falls easily from the bone.
- Remove the ribs from the cooking liquid.
- Using a large spoon, remove any excess fat from the surface of the cooking liquid.
- Using a ladle, transfer the cooking liquid in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the sauce into a pan and keep warm over low heat.
- Remove the meat from the bones. Discard the bones.
- Using 2 forks,shred the meat into small pieces.
- Stir the shredded meat into the sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and place in a large serving bowl.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the sauce and add to the pasta.
- Pour 1 cup of the sauce over the pasta. Toss well and thin out the pasta with more sauce, if needed.
- Sprinkle the pasta with Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley before serving.