How Long Can You Freeze Pie Dough?
You can freeze pie dough for up to 3 months.
Wrap it in plastic wrap and then put the wrapped dough in a heavy duty freezer bag.
Thaw it in the refrigerator and then roll it out while it is still cold.
What Makes Pie Dough Tough?
Too much water will make pie dough sticky, and that results in a tough pie crust.
Over-mixing the dough will make pie crust tough.
Pie dough should be mixed just until the ingredients will hold together when squeezed.
Do not kneed pie dough.
Why Does Pie Crust Crumble?
If you are trying to roll out your dough and it’s crumbly, then it is too dry. Sprinkle it with some cold water to help the dough hold together better. Integrate the water into the dough handling it as little as possible. Add more sprinkles of water if needed.
How to Blind Bake a Pie Crust
Refrigerate the crust for at least 30 minutes after shaping it in the pie plate. It can be refrigerated for up to overnight wrapped in plastic wrap if you need.
Bake at 375 degrees F with pie weights for 15 minutes.
You can also freeze the crust then thaw in the fridge for 2 hours before baking.
Mom’s Fail Proof Magic Pie Crust
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Mom's Fail Proof Magic Pie Crust
- 3 Cup flour
- 1 1/4 Cup shortening chilled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- Ice Cubes
- cold water
- Cut together the flour, salt and crisco until it looks like corn meal.
- Then, in a 1 cup measuring cup, combine 1 egg (slightly beaten), and vinegar.
- Add a couple of ice cubes up to 3 or 4 to another cup, add 1/2 cup full of water, and let the water get really cold, remove the ice cubes and add 1/2 cup water to the egg and vinegar.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients & stir with a fork until combined.
- Then use your hands to divide into two dough balls and wrap one in saran wrap and a plastic freezer bag to freeze for future use.
- Roll the other ball out. Once it is rolled out to the right size, I like to fold it in half and then in half the other way. Then you can pick it up & put it in the pie dish, and unfold it.
- Trim the edges to a uniform length, slightly larger than the pie dish.
- Pinch the dough between your fingers to form a zig-zag.
- Use a fork to poke holes throughout the bottom and sides of the crust.
- Bake according the directions for your particular pie.
- For a blind crust 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.