Isn’t the color in this granola beautiful? I love colorful food and I adore granola. I don’t really remember eating granola all that much growing up, unless you count the grapenuts that Dad always ate, but since becoming a real life grown up I’ve fallen in love with the stuff. A little handful for an afternoon snack or a bowl with fruit and yogurt are my two favorite ways to eat it and now I’ve got this new Pistachio Pomegranate Granola recipe that I just can’t keep my hands out of.
Except, the first time I made it I burned it. That one I totally stayed out of. I thought I had maybe only overcooked it and could try to salvage it. The first few bites weren’t bad at all actually, and then it happened, I took a dreadful bite. You know what I’m talking about, it was clearly overcooked and totally, utterly bitter.
Oh good golly, I can totally taste it as I type. It was horrible. But, I had hope! I had Becky’s awesome granola from the Inspire Retreat so I knew it could be done. I went back to the drawing board, aka the kitchen and adapted her recipe. It was perfection. My only note was to use raw pistachios instead of roasted as they will just end up overcooked.
This may not be the brown sugar poptarts or the lucky charms that I loved so much as a kid but it is even better and will keep you fuller longer so you’re not trying to snack away your whole morning on junk. And if you’re not really into the pistachio or pomegranate craisin thing, no worries just sub your favorite nut and fruit!
Pistachio Pomegranate Granola
Pistachio Pomegranate Granola
- 3 1/2 cups thick rolled oats
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 3/4 cup Puffed Rice (not rice krispies, these are puffier)
- 1 cup raw pistachios
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/4 cup pomegranate craisins
- In a pot over medium heat mix together coconut oil, maple syrup, honey and brown sugar..
- Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together oats, pepitas, puffed rice, pistachios, cinnamon and salt.
- Pour the hot oil syrup mixture over the oats.
- Then, using a whisk whip the egg white until its frothy.
- Fold the egg white into the oat mixture.
- Line a large baking tray with foil and then pour out the oats onto the baking sheet, spreading them out with a spatulat.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until golden. Do Not stir this during baking or cooling, or the clusters will break up.
- Let cool completely and then break up into clusters and add the pomegranate craisins.
The egg white and not stirring the granola is what creates those yummy nuggets of goodness so make sure you follow the recipe exactly.
Yield: 2 jars, Serving Size: 1
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 1966 Calories
- Total Fat: 100.4g
- Carbohydrates: 254.3g
- Fiber: 25.9g
- Sugar: 122g
- Protein: 38g