This easy, creamy Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole is made with just 6 simple ingredients and comes together in no time!
Creamy Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
This poppy seed chicken casserole with Ritz crackers is a really quick dish. We usually serve this creamy chicken dish over brown rice, but you could use white if you prefer. It’s easy to put together and perfect if you need to drop a little something off at someone’s house who’s just had a baby, is sick, or just in need of a meal. My favorite part is that buttery cracker topping. YUM!
It’s a busy week over at our house. We have so much going on and I am teaching coupon classes up in Salt Lake. I thought this would be a good week for quick meals. They don’t always look the best and they aren’t anything amazing, but they are quick and yummy for those nights you don’t have time or just don’t have things pulled together.
So, here is to our first crazy busy day and not spending time in the kitchen when I need to be doing other things!
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Ingredients
This sour cream chicken recipe uses just six simple ingredients:
- Cooked chicken breasts
- Cream of Chicken soup
- Sour cream
- Poppy seeds
- Ritz crackers
How to Make Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
What I love most about this poppy seed chicken recipe is that it takes almost no time to prep. Here are the basic instructions for making this ultra creamy chicken dish:
- Mix together the canned soup, sour cream, and diced chicken.
- Turn into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Break up Ritz crackers and mix together with melted butter. Sprinkle evenly over casserole.
- Bake until warmed through and golden on top.
Can I Use a Sour Cream Substitute?
Yes, plain Greek yogurt is a good substitute for sour cream. I recommend using full-fat Greek yogurt for the best flavor and texture.
Can I Halve This Chicken Recipe?
Yes, quite easily! Halve the ingredients and bake the chicken dish with Ritz crackers in an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish instead of a 9×13-inch dish.
Tips for Making Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
To save yourself even more time, shred part of a store-bought rotisserie chicken to make this poppy seed chicken recipe. You can use the leftover rotisserie chicken in more recipes throughout the week, or freeze it for later.
We typically prefer making meals totally from scratch, but in this case Cream of Chicken soup is essential in this recipe. I’m not sure what substitute you can use for the soup!
We like serving this creamy chicken casserole over rice, but you can also serve it over noodles. Or enjoy it plain alongside steamed veggies or a side salad.
More CHICKEN CASSEROLE IDEAS:
- Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
- Coconut Curry Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Cheesy Ranch Chicken and Potatoes Casserole
- One-Skillet Honey Lime Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Lightened Up Chicken Tetrazzini
- Broccoli, Chicken, and Rice Casserole
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- 3 Chicken Breasts, , cooked and diced
- 2 Cans Cream of Chicken soup
- 16 Oz Sour Cream
- 1/2-1 Tablespoon Poppy Seeds
- 1 Package Ritz Crackers
- 1 Tablespoon Butter, , melted
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix soup, sour cream and chicken together.
- Pour into a 9x13-inch pan.
- Break up the crackers (I like them broken, not ground up) and mix with the melted butter and poppy seeds.
- Sprinkle over the chicken mixture and place in oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes and serve over rice.