You need a Traeger and you really need to make this Brazilian smoked tri tip on a Traeger! The meat is tender, juicy and packed full of flavor!
I know most of us may feel intimidated at first when we start talking about smoking meat and other foods after hearing about those seasoned grill masters and neighbors that smoke their meats like it’s going out of style. Traeger has made it so easy for all of us.
How to Make Smoked Tri Tip
Before you begin smoking any of your meats, decide whether or not you want to let the meat marinate and how long. We decided for this specific tri tip that we would marinate it just over night.
Make the marinade and place the meat in the plastic container or big ziploc bag with it over night in the refrigerator. When you take your meat out of the marinade, give your tri tip a light covering with your favorite seasoning, if you need a rub you can use ours below or just use salt and pepper if you prefer.
read more: Looking for Traeger recipes? Try our Smoked Chicken Breast Recipe next!
What Temperature to Smoke Tri Tip
When you are ready to start smoking your meat on your Traeger, begin by turning the grill on to Smoke, lid open until the fire is established, this can take about 5 minutes for the box to ignite the pellets. You can experiment with what pellets you like most, We tend to use hickory, mesquite or cherry with the tri tip.
How Long to Smoke Tri Tip
You will need about 3 to 4 hours, depending how well done you like you tri tip. Here are your internal fresh beef temperatures. For rare (120-125 degrees Farenheit), medium rare (130-135 degrees Farenheit), medium (135-140 degrees Farenheit), medium well (140-150 degrees Farenheit and well done (when you start getting above 155 degrees Farenheit). If you don’t have a probe get one :). If you have a meat thermometer you can use that. We usually check the meat internal temp about 1 hour and 45 minutes in from cooking. We like to pull the meat off the smoker once it hits 130-135 degrees Farenheit.
The Secret to Juicy Brazilian Smoked Tri Tip
The secret to juicy Brazilian smoked tri tip is to wrap it in tin foil and let it rest for 20-30 minutes. After you let it rest, take out the tri tip and cut it against the grain, the thickness of the cut is to your liking.
More Decadent MAIN DISHES You Must Try:
- Best Prime Rib
- Smoked Pulled Pork
- Oven Braised Short Ribs
- Smoked Apple Pecan Turkey Breast
- Traeger Beef Brisket
- Korean Oven Braised Short Ribs
- Smoked Chicken Wings with Glaze
- Easy Garlic Butter Steak
- Traeger Smoked Pork Ribs
- All our MAIN DISH recipes!
Brazilian Smoked Tri Tip on a Traeger
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Brazilian Smoked Tri Tip on a Traeger
- 2 1/2 lb tri tip
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- Mix ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Place in ziploc bag or plastic container.
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl or mason jar for storage.
- After mixing your marinade ingredients in a bowl, place the marinade and meat together in a ziploc bag or plastic container. Let it marinate 1 hour or up to over night.
- When you are ready to begin cooking, remove your tri tip from the fridge
- Turn your Trager to smoke ( allow about 5 minutes)
- Take your tri tip out of the marinade and lightly dust all sides of the tri tip with your favorite rub
- Turn the temperature to 225.
- Place tri tip on Traeger until the internal temperature reaches 130-135 degrees Farenheit, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove tri tip from grill and wrap in tin foil
- Let it rest in the tin foil for 20-30 minutes
- After it has rested, cut slices against the grain and enjoy