Smothered. Mexican. Chicken. Yup.
I’m all about quick, easy and delicious dinners right now, and friends, this one, this one is my new favorite…by far.
I actually wasn’t even prepared for just how much I was going to love this chicken, and admittedly, before popping it into the oven, I was thinking it was going to be an epic failure for various reasons. So wrong. This Mexican Corn would have been delicious with it actually …
First of all, the entire house was permeated with the most wonderful tex-mex aroma, and immediately upon pulling it from the oven, the bubbly, cheesy, seriously juicy ensemble had me kind of weak in the knees.
Here’s what you do. Combine one can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, one can of green chiles, one can of black beans (rinsed and drained), a good amount of chili powder, some dried oregano, cumin, salt and juuust a touch of coriander. Half of it is spread on the bottom of casserole dish and then thinly sliced chicken breasts are nestled on top. The rest of the tomato and black bean mixture is spooned over and then shredded Colby jack cheese is sprinkled on top. It’s popped into the oven until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted and ready to be devoured.
I served this over some sticky brown rice, but white rice or even quinoa would also be perfect — and trust me, you’ll want some sort of carb to serve this over because every morsel of that juice should be soaked up…
Are Black Beans Good For You?
Black beans are high in protein and fiber.
They also contain several other key vitamins and minerals that are known to benefit human health.
Among other benefits, black beans may help strengthen bones.
Is Chicken Breast a Lean Protein?
Yes, chicken breast is a good source of lean protein.
The protein in one serving of lean chicken breast is a whopping 25 grams.
Smothered Mexican Chicken
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Smothered Mexican Baked Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts cut in half length-wise
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes 14 oz
- 1 can diced green chiles 3 oz
- 1 can black beans 14 oz, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded co-jack cheese
- Avocado and sour cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a rectangular baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl combine, tomatoes, chiles, black beans, chili powder, oregano, coriander, cumin and salt.
- Spread half of the mixture on the bottom of the greased pan.
- Place the chicken breasts on top.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the remaining tomato and black bean mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted, about 30-35 minutes.
- Serve with sliced avocado and sour cream.
Connect with Nicole: