Hi Friends! It’s Amber from Dessert Now, Dinner Later! It feels like forever since I’ve shared a recipe with you all and I am ready to dive right in with a fabulous dessert!
This Strawberry Cake is made from scratch and the sliced strawberries baked into the top are just stunning!
This cake is not overly sweet, but our favorite way to serve it is with a small dollop of sweetened coconut whipped cream. It’s just HEAVENLY!!!
I made my cake in an 8 x 1 3/4-inch Quiche/Tart Pan for the pretty scalloped edge, but you can most certainly use a round cake pan instead.
This cake is so FAST to put together! I even have a trick for slicing the strawberries.
I slice my strawberries with an egg slicer. I know … WHAT?! It’s life changing!
An egg slicer also works well for kiwis or olives. AWESOME right?!
Why Vinegar in Cake?
Some may wonder why there is vinegar in a cake recipe, but it totally makes sense. An acid like vinegar is often included in cake to react with baking soda and start the chemical reaction needed to produce carbon dioxide. This gives those batters a lift as they bake, and we all want a fluffy, tender cake.
Valentine’s Day Dessert
How fun would it be to make this cake for Valentine’s Day? You could even drizzle chocolate on top if you wanted, because I know how popular chocolate covered strawberries are for Valentine’s Day. Have fun with it!
Are you a fan of fruity desserts? I can’t get enough!
Thanks for stopping by today! Happy Baking!
Are Strawberries Good For You?
Strawberries are packed with vitamin C, fiber, antioxidants, and more.
Strawberries are also a good source of manganese and potassium.
Will Strawberries Grow Back Every Year?
How Long Will Homemade Whipped Cream Keep?
Homemade whipped cream will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator, or 2-3 months in the freezer.
- 1/4 cup oil (vegetable, canola, coconut, etc)
- 1/2 cup milk (any %)
- 1 Tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 lb strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced
- 1 Tbsp sugar, to sprinkle on top
Sweetened Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 (13.5oz) can FULL FAT Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
For the Cake:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, milk, vinegar, vanilla, and egg.
- Add the sugar and whisk until dissolved.
- Combine the flour and baking powder, then whisk it into the wet mixture.
- Pour cake batter into a greased 8 or 9-inch round cake pan.
- Gently layer the strawberries on top of the batter in any pattern you like.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp sugar on top of the strawberries.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake is baked in the center.
For the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- REFRIGERATE the can of coconut milk OVERNIGHT to allow the cream to solidify at the top.
- Turn the can upside down and open from the bottom.
- Pour the liquid into a cup. Save it for smoothies or another recipe.
- Scoop out the solidified coconut cream and put it in a COLD BOWL.
- Using a hand mixer, whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla until light and airy.
- It doesn't quite double the way heavy cream does, but it will still get lighter and whipped.
- Dollop cream on top of or next to a slice of cooled strawberry cake (if you put it on warm cake, it will melt.)
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 326 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 24.8mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 38.4g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 24.2g Protein: 4g
Want more Strawberry treats?