The holidays are here again and I’m feeling like it’s going to be the year of snacking. This 5 Minute Christmas Snack Mix is perfect for parties and guests!
Everyone is all about the baking this time of year, and I get it, part of the Christmas magic is a house that feels and smells like Christmas. You want it to look, sound and even smell like the holidays. I’m all about the moments too, but I’m also about simplifying. Whether you’re looking to drop off neighbor gifts or just want something yummy for a party this is it! A 5 Minute Christmas Snack Mix is full of all our holiday favorites, pretzels and peanuts for something salty, chewy candies, and even Chex Muddy Buddies (puppy chow)!
I’m always looking for what will be a good mix to throw together for a quick and easy dessert or party appetizer. The trick is getting a good balance so that you want to keep digging in over and over again. I thought we had a pretty good Christmas snack mix, but around this time last year I attended a bridal shower and someone brought an almost identical snack mix with one important addition.
5 Minute Christmas Snack Mix
Before we get to the winning ingredient let’s bust out the list of must-haves in this simple Christmas Party Snack Mix.
- Mini Pretzels
- Salted Peanuts
- Mini Marshmallows
- Mini Cadbury Eggs
- Christmas M&M’s
- Christmas Peanut Butter M&M’s
- Chex Muddy Buddies, or I grew up saying, Puppy Chow.
And the winning ingredient that Rachelle Crowder taught me, Sour Cherry Balls.
A really good snack mix needs something sweet, something crunchy, something melt in your mouth, something salty and apparently something with a good chew and contrast to all of that. The sour cherry balls are the key to this snack mix! You can leave out or swap any ingredients, but never leave out the Sour Cherry Balls.
Chex Muddy Buddies
I feel like we need to talk about Chex Muddy Buddies before going any further. In most of our snack mix recipes we are all about the open and dump, but in this one you’ll have to do a little cooking first.
We only called this peanut butter chocolate mix, Puppy Chow as kids. We knew the name, Muddy Buddies but it honestly wasn’t something we would ever have said.
Which do you call this classic snack mix, Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow?
- How Long do Chex Muddy Buddies Last?
Chex Muddy Buddies will last longer if you store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator, but for some reason that isn’t my favorite. I don’t want cold Chex Mix.
If you store Chex Muddy Buddies in the fridge it can last for up to 2 weeks.
Storing Chex Muddy Buddies in a sealed container in a dark, cool pantry will allow it to last for up to 1 week.
- Is Chex Muddy Buddies Gluten Free?
As long as you are using Gluten Free Chex your Chex Muddy Buddies will be gluten free. Make sure you watch the labels of the other ingredients such as, peanut butter, chocolate chips and so on just to be sure that nothing is made in a facility that has gluten.
- Does Chex Muddy Buddies Have to be Refrigerated?
You can refrigerate Chex Muddy Buddies but it is not necessary. One great benefit to refrigerating Chex Muddy Buddies is that it will stay fresh for a longer period of time. However, if you’re like me you won’t be so worried about that because this stuff goes fast.
Sour Cherry Balls
Since so many have already been asking us about the chewy, little red candies that are so addicting in this mix I wanted to be sure to go over it.
- What are Sour Cherry Balls?
Sour cherry balls are a sweet and slightly sour chewy candy that you can find at most grocery stores. They are just little red balls that have a great, fruity flavor!
- Where to Buy Sour Cherry Balls
When you’re looking for just one little candy and cannot track it down is there anything more annoying?! These sour cherry balls can be found in the candy section, but specifically by the hard and gummy candies like gummy worms and butterscotch candies. There are really easy to miss, so slow down and keep those eyes peeled!
Snack Mix RECIPES
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
5 minute Christmas Snack Mix
- 1 Can Peanuts Large, Salted
- 1/2 Bag Candy Christmas M&Ms, 11.4 oz. bag
- 1/2 Bag Candy 11.4 oz. bag Christmas Peanut Butter M&Ms
- 2 Bags Sour Cherry Balls Small
- 1/2 Bag Candy 11.4 oz bag, Christmas Mini Cadbury Eggs
- 2 Cups Pretzels Mini
- 2 Cups Marshmallows Mini
- Chex Muddy Buddies recipe follows
Chex Muddy Buddies
- 9 Cups Rice Chex
- 1/2 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- Start by preparing the Muddy Buddies so they have time to cool
- In a small, microwave safe bowl, add the peanut butter and chocolate chips. Microwave for 1 minute, stir and add up to another 30 seconds until everything is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the chocolate over the cereal in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Place half of the powdered sugar in a large ziploc, add half of the chex and seal shut. Shake to coat the cereal.
- Pour out onto parchment paper or a cookie sheet to cool and repeat with remaining cereal and powdered sugar.
- In a large bowl, once the muddy buddies are cool, add all ingredients and toss to combine.
- Store for up to 3 days in a sealed container.