The most perfect pumpkin bread recipe topped with a cinnamon crumb streusel topping, which is the best topping imho!
I don’t really have any memories of pumpkin bread growing up. It was always pumpkin roll and I never ate it. But I do have very distinct memories of the smell and warmth of the kitchen. I can see perfectly the warm cake bits and powdered sugar stuck to the kitchen towel as mom rolled up the cake and placed it in the fridge to rest.
It doesn’t feel like the holidays to me unless something is pumpkin and since I tend to lean more towards the quick breads I just knew a pumpkin crumb bread was bound to make it onto the blog one of these days.
I think I’ve made a million pumpkin bread recipes, but last year when I finally found the best, the most moist, the absolutely most delicious pumpkin bread recipe ever I immediately had to make a crumb topping. And then it flopped and flopped. And flopped.
Too little butter, too much butter, too heavy a topping for a good rise, and on and on kept me testing away for almost an entire year. But this is it, the recipe that had my entire family begging for slice after slice.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Bread
The ingredients are simple with nothing unexpected. Here is a list of the ingredients and their purpose in the recipe:
- Flour – all purpose flour, make sure you measure the flour appropriately, too much flour results in dry bread
- Baking Soda – leavening agent
- Baking Powder – leavening agent
- Cinnamon – flavor
- Salt – enhances sweetness
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – if you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can make your own by combining cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves
- Canola Oil – keep the bread extra moist and soft, if you don’t have canola oil, vegetable oil will work fine
- Dark Brown Sugar – has more molasses and so much flavor
- Sugar – adds a little more sweetness
- Eggs – gives the bread structure
- Pumpkin Puree – make sure you get pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling
- Vanilla – flavor
- Flour – gives structure to the topping
- Brown Sugar – flavor and sweetness
- White Sugar – sweetness
- Salt- enhances and balances the sweetness
- Cinnamon – flavor
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – flavor
- Unsalted Butter – richness and binds
How to Make Pumpkin Bread with Streusel Topping
Making this bread is so easy! You’ll be biting into a warm slice of pumpkin bread in no time. Here are the basic steps:
- Prep: preheat the oven and spray a bread loaf pan with nonstick spray
- PRO TIP: cut a strip of parchment paper and lay it across the bottom of the pan and spray the pan again. This will create a sling to easily remove the loaf from the pan after it bakes.
- Wet Ingredients: whisk together all the wet ingredients together
- Dry Ingredients: whisk all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, add to the wet ingredients and stir to combine
- PRO TIP: fold to combine until a few streaks of flour remain, DON’T OVERMIX!
- Topping: add all the ingredients except the butter to a small bowl and stir to combine then add the cold butter and combine using your hands
- Bake: pour the batter into the bread pan and sprinkle the streusel topping on top, bake and allow to rest before removing from the pan
- Cool: slide a knife around the sides of the pan and carefully remove the loaf from the pan by lifting it using the parchment paper sling. Let the bread cool on a cooling rack.
For the full recipe instructions, please scroll down to the recipe card at the end of the post.
Can You Make Your Own Pumpkin Puree?
Yes, remove seeds, cut pumpkin into chunks and roast fresh pumpkin until soft.
Scoop out the flesh and puree in a blender.
Can I Add Chocolate Chips?
Absolutely! You can use either mini chocolate chips or regular chocolate chips. I prefer to use semi sweet, but feel free to use any kind of chocolate chips you want. White chocolate chips would also be delicious just like in our white chocolate banana bread.
Can This Bread Be Made Ahead?
Yes, this a great recipe for making ahead of time. Let the bread cool completely and store it for up to 2-3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. When you’re ready to serve it, pull it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature.
Does Pumpkin Bread Need To Be Refrigerated?
Pumpkin bread can be stored at room temperature. Keep it in an airtight contain to keep it fresh and soft.
How Long Will Pumpkin Bread Keep?
Pumpkin bread will keep for 5 days at room temperature, or can be refrigerated for up to 7 days.
Can You Freeze Pumpkin Bread?
Yes! Cool completely and wrap in plastic and foil or place in a heavy duty freezer bag.
Freeze for up to 3 months.
Sure, you can eat just a regular loaf of pumpkin bread. You could even add chocolate chips to it. But once you’ve tried this pumpkin bread recipe with cinnamon crumb streusel topping, you’ll never want pumpkin bread any other way. It is simply divine!
Other Must-Try Pumpkin Recipes
- Cadbury Chocolates Pumpkin Cookies
- Swirled Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake
- Costco Copycat Crumb Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Roll
- Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Bundt Cake
- Gingersnap Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
- Pumpkin Bread
Cinnamon Crumb Pumpkin Bread
- 1 Cup Flour
- 3/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Canola Oil
- 2 Eggs, large
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Cups Flour
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons White Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/3 Cup Unsalted Butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x5" bread pan with nonstick spray. Cut a strip of parchment paper and lay the strip across the bread pan and spray the pan again. This will create a sling to remove the loaf from the pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, pumpkin and vanilla. Stir and then add the sugars.
- Dump the dry ingredients on the wet ingredients and switching to a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, gently fold the ingredients together just until a few streaks of flour remain.
- Pour into a bread pan and sprinkle streusel all over the top. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- At this point, slide a knife around the inside of the pan and use the parchment sling to remove the loaf from the pan and move it onto the cooling rack.
- Place it right side up and allow to cool or be like us and dig in because warm bread is the best!
For the Streusel
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugars, salt and spices.
- Cube the cold butter and add to the dry ingredients. Using your hands, pinch and squish the mixture until it's all completely combined and you can grab a handful and it all sticks together in a clump. Set aside.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.