Hi everyone! I’m Ashley from Spoonful of Flavor here again to share a tasty morning treat. Are you ready for fall? Or are you hoping that summer sticks around a bit longer? I used to actually dread fall because it meant that winter, snow and colder weather was coming soon. Now that I live in a warmer climate, I love fall because it means slightly cooler weather and plenty of time spent outdoors. Regardless of where you live, the best thing about fall is all of the delicious fall recipes.
Even though the official start of the fall season won’t be here for a few more weeks, I’m diving right into the flavors of fall with these Apple Coffee Cake Muffins. Cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, apple, and squash are some of my all-time favorite flavors. Especially during the most brutally hot days of summer, I’m dreaming of baking warm apple crisp, pumpkin pie and the best caramel apple spice cookies.
Apple coffee cake muffins are a taste of fall and the perfect way to start the day. Grab a huge glass of milk, or better yet a glass of apple cider and enjoy the sweet and tart apple flavors. Chunks of apples, crumble topping, chopped pecans and glaze combine to create a breakfast treat or afternoon snack.
The best part of these muffins is the streusel mixture that not only covers the top of the muffins but is swirled throughout. Add some apple chunks and the fall flavors really begin to shine. Bake a batch and enjoy the warm fall flavors!
Do Apples Lose Nutrition When Cooked?
Cooked apples are a good source of vitamin C.
When fruits or vegetables are cooked at high temperatures or for long periods of time, heat-sensitive nutrients such as B vitamins and folate are more likely to be destroyed.
Both raw and cooked apples are a great source of polyphenols, although the amount decreases when apples are cooked.
Does Coffee Cake Contain Coffee?
Coffee cake is a moist, tender cake that is usually topped with some kind of streusel topping and served with coffee.
Some coffee cakes may contain coffee, but the name comes from the fact that it is served with coffee, not because it has coffee in it.
Do Apple Muffins Need to be Refrigerated?
No, fruit muffins do not have to be refrigerated.
They can be stored at room temperature for 2-3 days.
For longer storage, store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Apple Coffee Cake Muffins
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled, chopped apple
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions**To prevent soggy muffins use tart apples good for baking, such as Baldwin, Braeburn, Cortland, Fuji, Gala or Granny Smith.**
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin-tin with paper liners.
For the Streuesel
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Mix well and set aside.
For the Muffins
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt with a whisk.
- Cut 8 tablespoons of butter into ½ inch cubes and sprinkle evenly over flour mixture. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until butter is oat-sized.
- Remove 1 cup of the flour-butter mixture and stir into reserved brown sugar mixture until combined to make streusel; set aside.
- Add baking powder and baking soda to remaining flour mixture and stir to combine.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together sour cream, egg, and vanilla.
- Add liquids to muffin flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Add 3/4 cup of streusel mixture back into flour mixture and stir until streusel is just distributed throughout batter.
- Gently fold apples into batter.
- Melt the remaining butter and stir into remaining streusel mixture, until streusel resembles a crumble.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups and sprinkle generously with streusel topping, crumbling with your hands to make some big chunks.
- Bake 22 to 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, whisk the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla extract together.
- Drizzle over muffins.
To prevent soggy muffins use tart apples good for baking, such as Baldwin, Braeburn, Cortland, Fuji, Gala or Granny Smith.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 4250 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 559.5mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 597g Fiber: 14.6g Sugar: 392.8g Protein: 42.8g
Connect with Ashley: