The most flavorful, soft muffin loaded with sweetened apples and streusel crumble. This Apple Coffee Cake Muffins recipe screams fall breakfast!
I used to actually dread fall because it meant that winter, snow and colder weather was coming soon. But now I love fall because it means slightly cooler weather and plenty of time spent outdoors.
Plus sweater weather. I love sweater weather.
Regardless of where you live, the best thing about fall is all of the delicious fall recipes.
Fall Spices and Flavors
Even though the official start of the fall season won’t be here for a few more weeks, I’m diving right into the flavors of fall with these Apple Coffee Cake Muffins. Cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, apple, and squash are some of my all-time favorite flavors. Especially during the most brutally hot days of summer, I’m dreaming of baking warm apple crisp, pumpkin pie and the best caramel apple spice cookies.
Apple coffee cake muffins are a taste of fall and the perfect way to start the day. Grab a huge glass of milk, or better yet, a glass of apple cider and enjoy the sweet and tart apple flavors. Chunks of apples, crumble topping, and glaze combine to create a breakfast treat or afternoon snack.
The best part of these muffins is the streusel mixture that not only covers the top of the muffins but is swirled throughout. Add some apple chunks and the fall flavors really begin to shine. Bake a batch and enjoy the warm fall flavors, especially if you’ve got kids heading out the door to school.
I’ve been busting out a batch here and there then popping half into the freezer so that the girls can grab a fresh and filling breakfast before heading out the door.
Does Coffee Cake Contain Coffee?
Coffee cake is a moist, tender cake that is usually topped with some kind of streusel topping and served with coffee.
Some coffee cakes may contain coffee, but the name comes from the fact that it is served with coffee, not because it has coffee in it.
Do Apple Muffins Need to be Refrigerated?
No, fruit muffins do not have to be refrigerated. They can be stored at room temperature in a closed container for 2-3 days. For longer storage, store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Can I Freeze Muffins?
You know I freeze muffins ALL THE TIME! It’s so easy for school breakfasts! The kids pull one out and pop it in the microwave and I’ve done nothing yet still managed to feed them hot breakfast.
Apple Coffee Cake Muffins
Apple Coffee Cake Muffins
For the Streusel
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter , (1 stick= 1/2 cup)
For the Cake
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar, minus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs, large, whisked
- 3/4 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Cups Apples, peeled and chopped
For the Icing
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 3-4 Tablespoons Heavy Cream, (milk is ok)
For the Streusel
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugars, salt and cinnamon.1 1/2 Cups Flour, 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar, 1/4 Cup White Sugar, 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt, 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- Melt the butter and allow to cool just slightly so it's still melted but not hot.1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- Stir the butter into the dry ingredients and do not break up clumps unless they are huge. Set aside.
For the Muffins
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line 3 muffin tins with paper liners. See note on muffin tips for why we use three pans.
- In a standing mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add the oil and mix again.1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, 1 Cup Sugar, 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- Crack in your eggs and add the vanilla extract and then give the mixer a final turn before dumping in all dry ingredients. Mix until almost incorporated and then add in the buttermilk and stir until barely combined.2 Eggs, 3/4 teaspoons Vanilla Extract, 2 Cups Flour, 2 teaspoons Baking Powder, 1/2 teaspoon Salt, 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- Make a well in the center of the batter, add about 1 cup of the streusel and 1 cups of apples and cover it back up with batter.2 Cups Apples
- Sprinkle about 1 1/2 cups more streusel on top along with the remaining apple, and using a rubber spatula, gently fold it all in.
- Using a cookie scoop, add the batter evenly into each paper liner and sprinkle generously with streusel.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly then drizzle with the icing and serve warm. (see note)
- In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla and heavy cream until a steady ribbon of drizzle comes off the whisk. Set aside.1 Cup Powdered Sugar, 1 Teaspoon Vanilla, 3-4 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
Muffin LinersTulip muffin liners help to get a taller muffin dome.
Muffin SpacingIt is best when making muffins to place a liner in every other well for the best air circulation, but it’s ok if you need to get it done and fill each well.
Make AheadThis cake is awesome to make ahead! Even two days prior to your event is fine if you cover it well.