A sweetly soft pumpkin muffin full of just enough spice and a delicious streusel crumb all over the top. It’s a Costco Copycat Crumb Pumpkin Muffins kind of day!
Every year as we approach the end of summer I RESIST!
I don’t want to have the warmth end and the cold take over.
There’s nothing but schedules and busy days for school, I want the pool with my kids!
But then it happens, the air turns a little crisp and the wind picks up the leaves on the trees, blowing them down the street in that tumble, bumble way.
And I’m in.
I Love Fall!
Bring on the sweaters, the pumpkin and apple everything and of course, sweaters forever.
One of my absolute favorite things about fall is that Costco busts out its Pumpkin Crumb Muffins. HECK YES!!!
They are the most soft, tender crumbed muffins and that simple streusel topping is totally craveable.
This year I decided that I didn’t have time to make a run down to Costco, not to mention I didn’t trust myself to not buy one of every single kind of muffin.
So what’s a girl to do? Create her own Crumb Pumpkin Muffins recipe, of course!
Costco Copycat Crumb Pumpkin Muffins
The Costco muffins are ginormous, even a Jumbo muffin pan like we used here won’t be as big as their muffins, but they will still be awesome.
It’s a soft and fluffy pumpkin muffin topped off with a cinnamon streusel and a dusting of cinnamon powdered sugar.
How to Make Easy Pumpkin Muffins
- Prepare the dry ingredients in a bowl by whisking them together until well incorporated.
- In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients except the pumpkin.
- Add the wet and dry ingredients together as well as the canned pumpkin.
- Gently fold everything together
- Fill the muffin tin 2/3 full and set aside for 15 minutes to allow the leavening agents to activate.
- Add streusel on top and bake.
How to Make Costco Muffins
To make these Costco Muffins you’ll want to use a Jumbo Muffin Tin and add a streusel on top.
- In a bowl combine the streusel ingredients until well incorporated.
- Squeeze the crumble together in your hand so it makes multiple clumps.
- Break pieces of the streusel off onto each muffin.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the top springs back when tapped.
- Allow the muffins to totally cool then sprinkle with a mixture of powdered sugar and a little cinnamon.
How Long to Bake Pumpkin Muffins
Bake your pumpkin muffins for 16-20 minutes if they are regular muffins or up to 30 minutes for jumbo muffins.
How to Store Pumpkin Muffins
Store pumpkin muffins in a large sealed container or large freezer bags.
One of the secrets to those soft pumpkin muffins is that they quickly get wrapped in plastic wrap which locks in the moisture. You’ll find your tops on your muffins aren’t as soft until after they’ve been stored.
How Bad are Costco Muffins?
I laughed so hard when researching Costco muffins. One of the most asked questions is, “How bad are Costco muffins?”
BAHAHAHA! We all know that Costco muffins have got to be straight up cupcakes without frosting. I’m serious. I swear that they are.
What is Streusel Topping
A streusel topping creates a sweet and crumbly texture that sits on top of a baked good.
The recipe contains very few ingredients:
And you could also add chopped nuts if desired.
How to Make Streusel Topping for Muffins
The key to making a good streusel is butter.
Start off with your dry ingredients in a bowl which should be flour, brown sugar or a combination of white and brown and some spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
Add in butter and cut it into the flour mixture until crumbly.
Cold butter isn’t preferred in this case as we want everything to stick together so go with very soft or melted butter.
How to Make Streusel Topping More Crumbly
If you want a very crumbly streusel, which we all do, the secret is in your grip.
Squeeze the streusel right in the bowl so that you create multiple clumps in the bowl. When you’re ready to use the crumble just break it up over the muffins.
When to Add Streusel Topping
Make sure you add the streusel topping right before the muffins go into the oven so that it doesn’t sink down into the batter.
Can Costco Muffins Be Frozen?
Costco muffins hold up exceptionally well in the freezer. In fact, it’s what most people do as one muffin can easily feed two people so there is often a muffin or two left over.
Can You Freeze Pumpkin Muffins
You can freeze pumpkin muffins by placing in large freezer bags, gently pressing out the air and sealing it shut.
Freeze muffins for up to 4-5 weeks. Defrost on the counter and warm in the microwave if you want them extra delicious after freezing.
More Delicious Muffin Recipes!
- Best Blueberry Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
- Blackberry Pie Muffins
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Nutella Stuffed Double Chocolate Muffins
- Pumpkin White Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Blackberries and Cream Muffins
- Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Muffins
- Nutella Stuffed Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- Zucchini Muffins
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Pumpkin Crumb Muffins
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1/4 Cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 1/3 Cups Canned Pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 5 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons Butter melted
- Powdered Sugar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a Jumbo Muffin Pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil, sour cream, buttermilk and sugars. Add in the eggs and whisk again, but be sure to not over mix.
- Dump the dry ingredients, and pumpkin on the wet ingredients and switching to a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, gently fold the ingredients together just until a few streaks of flour remain.
- Fill jumbo cupcake liners in a jumbo pan 2/3 full of batter. Or use a regular muffin tin.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture all over the top of the muffins.
- Bake for 23-28 minutes and then remove from the oven to cool completely.
- Sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar and serve.
- Stir together the crumb mixture in a small bowl and set aside.