Super easy Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs in a tasty Blackberry and Hoisin Sauce with a healthy hit of Chinese 5 spice!
Hi! Kevin here from Closet Cooking! When Carrian asked me to contribute a ‘dude’ food recipe for Father’s Day I immediately said yes and ideas started speeding through my head!
Given that Father’s Day is is just around the start of summer I had to go for a recipe that involved some out door cooking and what guy doesn’t like ribs!
I like to keep things nice and simple with ribs so I go for easy slow cooker ribs where the ribs are cooked in the slow cooker until perfectly tender before being slathered with BBQ sauce and thrown on the barbecue to quickly finish things up and to give the a smoky, slightly charred, flavour!
For these ribs I went with a summery theme with fresh blackberries and I seasoned things with an Asian style including plenty of Chinese 5 spice, garlic, ginger and hoisin sauce. The ribs are hit up with a dry rub before being placed into the slow cooker and then they get the blackberry hoisin BBQ sauce treatment before hitting the grill.
These Blackberry Hoisin BBQ Ribs are so nice and easy to make and just perfect for Father’s Day!
What is Hoisin Sauce?
Hoisin sauce is a thick sauce commonly used in Chinese cooking.
It is used as a glaze for meat, an addition to stir fries, or as a dipping sauce.
It is a dark colored sauce that is sweet and salty in taste.
Can Ribs Be Cooked in an Oven?
Ribs can be cooked in the oven instead of a grill.
Set Oven to 300 degrees.
Place ribs on center rack and bake 2 1/2- 3 hours for spare ribs and 1 1/2- 2 hours for baby back.
Half-way through baking time, cover with foil to protect them from drying out.
More Ribs Recipes You Should Try:
- Traeger Smoked Ribs
- Smoky BBQ Instant Pot Ribs
- Instant Pot Country Style Ribs
- Dutch Oven Braised Short Ribs
- Sticky Instant Pot Bone-In Beef Short Ribs
- Asian Sticky Slow Cooker Ribs
- Mustard Carolina BBQ Sauce Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs
- Korean Oven Braised Short Ribs
- Easy BBQ Ribs
Blackberry Hoisin BBQ Ribs
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Blackberry and Hoisin Sauce
For the Blackberry Hoisin BBQ Sauce
- 4 ounces blackberries
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese 5 spice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic grated
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
For the Ribs
- 5 pounds 2 racks baby back or St. Louis Style Ribs, fat trimmed, silver skin removed
- 2 tablespoons Chinese 5 spice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- To make the Blackberry Hoisin BBQ Sauce, puree all sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender and optionally strain to remove the blackberry seeds.
- Rub the ribs with the mixture of the remaining ingredients, place in the slow cooker and cook until fall off the bone tender, 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- Brush the ribs with the blackberry hoisin bbq sauce and grill or broil until the sauce is bubbling and just starting to char.
Connect with Kevin:
More dude food for Father’s Day: