Country style ribs that are full of flavor and made so easy in the Instant Pot! Our simple BBQ rub adds loads of flavor and we let you in on our secret to make the ribs taste just like they were cooked on the grill. P.S. It’s all ready in less than an hour too!
We have several ribs recipes on the blog like our Asian Sticky Slow Cooker Ribs or our Oven Braised Short Ribs, but this is our first country style ribs recipe. I don’t know why it took us so long because we’ve been eating them for years and they are so dang delish!
A typical meal in our house with these country style pork ribs would include our Best Baked Beans and something light like our Garden Balsamic Avocado Salad. My kids love having cornbread with the ribs too, so sometimes I am nice and make that as well!
If you are looking for more Instant Pot recipes for making dinner in a hurry, you can find all our Instant Pot recipes here! Another one of our Instant Pot favorites is our super viral Award Winning Instant Pot Chili. And if you need a quick guide for cooking all your Instant Pot basics, you can find everything you need on our Instant Pot Cheat Sheet! Ok, I’ve gone off on an Instant Pot tangent…back to these juicy instant pot country style ribs!
What Cut of Meat are Country Style Ribs?
Are Country Style Ribs Beef or Pork?
Country style ribs can be either beef or pork. It just depends on what you prefer. Beef will be quite a bit meatier. For this recipe, we prefer pork country style ribs. We also prefer boneless over bone-in.
Why Should I Make Country Style Ribs?
They are easy on the wallet! You can often find country style ribs for a fraction of the cost of baby back or spare ribs. They also have great fat marbling which makes them extra tender and super flavorful.
How to Cook Country Style Ribs in the Instant Pot
- The first step to making these boneless country style ribs is to set aside a little bit of our smoky BBQ rub and then rub each rib with it.
- Next you will want to brown each rib in the Instant Pot (set to saute mode). Be sure to add a little oil to instant pot first. If you don’t have the saute mode setting, you can totally brown the ribs in a pan on the stove! Once the ribs are browned slightly, remove them to a plate and turn off the saute mode.
- You are pretty much done already! Add the apple juice and liquid smoke to the Instant Pot and add in the trivet (I’ve added link to the one we use). Place the ribs on top of the trivet and put the lid on the Instant Pot. Set the valve to seal and turn it to manual pressure – high for 32 minutes.
- Allow a 10 minute natural release and then carefully turn the valve to allow a quick release.
- The ribs are going to be so tender that they are falling apart so carefully remove them to a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Set your oven to broil and sprinkle more of the BBQ rub all over the ribs. This is where the secret to making them taste just like they were cooked on the grill comes in! Pop them into the oven and broil them for up to 3 minutes. You want them to just start to get crispy!
- Serve them up with a side of our Homemade BBQ Sauce, and you’ll be putting country style ribs on your shopping list every week!
Should I Use a Trivet?
Yes, it helps keep the ribs from being boiled or sitting in fat that’s dripping and then sticks to the ribs.
What Should I Cook with Instant Pot Country Style Ribs?
Now you’re all set with a the perfect Instant Pot country style ribs, but should you serve with it? We’ve got your back!
10 Perfect Sides to Serve with BBQ Ribs
- Southern Macaroni and Cheese
- Best Baked Beans
- Easy 7-Up Biscuits
- Herbed Focaccia Bread
- Best Mashed Potatoes
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Corn Avocado Tomato Salad
- Grilled Veggies with Pesto
- Roasted Garlic Veggies
- Grilled Pineapple
Can You Cook Country Style Ribs from Frozen in the Instant Pot?
Yes, cooking country pork style ribs that are frozen works quite well in the Instant Pot. The cooking time will stay the same, but the time the Instant Pot takes to come to pressure will take longer. The cooking time won’t start until the pot comes to pressure. Be sure to take that into account when you’re giving you kids a time to be home for dinner!
How Many Country Style Ribs Do I Need to Feed a Crowd?
Whether you are cooking for your family or for a larger crowd, you can plan on adults eating about 2 ribs per person. Our kids usually just eat one.
Can Country Style Ribs Be Cooked in the Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can definitely cook country style ribs in the slow cooker. Sometimes a slow cooker meal just fits better into your schedule. I totally get that! Follow the same steps of coating the ribs in BBQ rub and browning them on the stove. Pour the apple juice and liquid smoke in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Follow the same instructions for broiling them after they are cooked.
These country style ribs are tender, juicy, and a quick and easy way to get dinner on the table in under an hour! Our whole family devours them and they are great meal to serve guests. They are rich in flavor and just good ol’ down home comfort food!
Instant Pot Country Style Ribs
- Set aside 1-2 Tablespoons of BBQ Rub.
- Rub each rib with the rub.
- Turn the instant pot onto the saute mode or heat a pan over medium heat if you do not have that mode.
- Add the oil and a few ribs at a time, turning to each side to brown slightly. Remove to a plate.
- Turn the saute mode off.
- Place the apple juice and liquid smoke in the bottom of an instant pot.
- Add the trivet. Place the ribs on top
- Attach the lid and set the valve to seal.
- Turn the instant pot to manual pressure, high and set for 32 minutes.
- Allow a 10 minute natural release then turn the valve to do a quick release.
- Carefully, the ribs will be falling apart, remove the ribs to a foil lined baking sheet.
- Set the oven to broil and sprinkle a little more rub over the ribs. Broil for up to 3 minutes or until the ribs start to crisp a little.
- Take the ribs out of the oven and serve with a side of Homemade BBQ Sauce.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.