Beef short ribs so tender they fall right off the bone and melt in your mouth. And if you thought that sounded fantastic, what if I tell you this sticky BBQ Instant Pot beef short ribs recipe is all done in just 45 minutes?!
I can’t stop making short ribs!! When I created the recipe for our oven braised short ribs, it quickly became my most favorite recipe of all time! I immediately had a flood of different short ribs recipe ideas fill my mind. Our Korean oven braised short ribs came next and yowza, they are so decadent! Then I knew I needed to try short ribs in the Instant Pot!
How to Cook Beef Short Ribs in an Instant Pot
Cooking short ribs in an Instant Pot is the same as braising them in the oven, but the Instant Pot does all the cooking in lightning speed. I tell my little guy that the Instant Pot has super powers just like all his favorite super heroes. The Instant Pot really does work miracles! This recipe done in the oven takes hours. With the Instant Pot, a mere 45 minutes is all you need!
Here are the steps for cooking sticky BBQ Instant beef short ribs:
1. Prep the smoky BBQ sauce
- The smoky BBQ sauce is what makes these beef short ribs so sticky and finger lickin’ good! We are basically going to take normal BBQ sauce and make it extra sticky and smoky. You can start with our homemade BBQ sauce or whatever your favorite BBQ sauce is.
- In a pot on the stove, add the vinegar, worcestershire, liquid smoke, ground mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, red onion, garlic powder and the BBQ sauce. Stir everything together and bring it to a boil. Then lower the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Remove it from the heat.
2. Sear the short ribs
- Sprinkle all sides of the beef short ribs with BBQ rub. Heat your Instant Pot to saute mode, drizzle a little olive oil in the Instant Pot and brown each side of all the short ribs.
- Make sure to not crowd the ribs while browning them. Give them each their own little space while browning them. It will take a few batches to brown them all.
3. Cook the short ribs
- Put the apple or pineapple juice in the Instant Pot, place your trivet into the pot and then place the short ribs on top of the trivet. Pour 1 cup of the smoky BBQ sauce on the ribs and then put the lid on the Instant Pot. Set the valve to seal and change the Instant Pot to high pressure for 45 minutes.
- Once the cook time is complete, allow for a natural release for 10-15 minutes. Then carefully move each rib to a cookie sheet, brush them with a little more BBQ sauce, and broil them for 2-4 minutes.
Are Bone-In Short Ribs More Flavorful Than Boneless?
Beef short ribs can be boneless, however we prefer bone in for this recipe. They end up more flavorful and tender. When you’re at the store, look for bone-in short ribs that have already been cut up into individual ribs. If you can only find boneless, then those work great too!
What Kind of Meat is Used for Short Ribs?
Short ribs are a cut of beef similar to the spare rib in pork. Short ribs are meatier and thicker than spare ribs. The name “short rib” comes from the fact that the cut of meat contains only a portion of each long beef rib.
Can You Cook Bone-In Short Ribs In The Oven?
Yes! Beef short ribs cooked in an oven is done with a cooking technique called braising. For all the details on braising beef short ribs, head to our oven braised short ribs post.
Can You Grill Bone-In Short Ribs?
Yes! The most common way to cook short ribs is by braising, but they can be grilled just like a steak in about 10 minutes.
How Many Bone-In Short Ribs Per Person?
If you’re serving beef short ribs to adults, it’s best to plan on 2 short ribs per person. Kids will eat a little less and if you’re feeding a Cade, it will be a little more. Ha!
What Temperature Should Short Ribs be Cooked to?
The USDA says that short ribs are done at 145°, but you want them to be at a much higher temp to get them juicy and tender. Look for an internal temperature between 190-203° for optimum melt-in-your-mouth-ness!
How Much do Beef Short Ribs Cost?
Beef short ribs can be quite spendy. We tend to save them for special occasions or load up when they are on sale. Then we Food Saver them and freeze them. In general, beef short ribs are going to run you about $7/lb. Prices will fluctuate depending on where you live.
We are all about the Instant Pot these days and making delicious dinners quickly! You can find all our Instant Pot recipes here. You should try them all and then let us know which your favorite is! And while you are at it, don’t miss our Instant Pot Cheat Sheet that has all information you need to cook all the basics in the Instant Pot.
These Instant Pot beef short ribs are sure to be a new family favorite! We can’t wait to hear what you think!
Sticky BBQ Instant Pot Bone-In Beef Short Ribs
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 Tablespoons BBQ Rub
- 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Liquid Smoke
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Mustard
- 1 1/4 cups ketchup
- 1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup Apple juice or pineapple juice
- In a pot, add the vinegar, worcestershire, liquid smoke, ground mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, red onion, garlic powder and bbq sauce. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle all sides of the ribs with the bbq rub.
- Heat an instant pot with the saute mode on more heat and add a drizzle of oil.
- Brown each side of the ribs and set aside.
- Place the apple or pineapple juice in the bottom of the instant pot and set in a trivet.
- Add the ribs on top and pour over 1 cup of the smoky bbq sauce that you just made in the pot. Place the lid on and set the valve to seal.
- Turn the instant pot to pressure cook on high, setting the time for 45 minutes.
- Allow a natural release for 10-15 minutes then remove the lid.
- Set the ribs on a baking sheet and brush with a little sauce then broil for 2-4 minutes in the oven.
- Brush with more sauce and serve over smashed potatoes.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.