This white chocolate trash Chex mix is sweet and salty, can be made in minutes using only the microwave, and makes great neighbor or coworker holiday gifts!
This is the best part of Christmas for me, the traditions that my kids love. Every year we have a pile of Christmas movies to get through and while I only care about 2, White Christmas and Elf. Our little guy is obsessed, No, OBSESSED with Elf and How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the new one not the old one). And over the years it has become something we all can’t wait to do because he’s SO EXCITED!
This last year he said, can we have a special Elf movie night with a Buddy the Elf snack?
HECK. YES. WE. CAN!
You can add maple syrup extract to the white chocolate if you want to, but I’ll be honest, it’s too much for me. Otherwise, just throw it all in there and no judgments if you want to add pop tarts or leftover candy corn (best of luck finding any to buy in December).
When Do You Watch Your First Christmas Movie?
Hey side note, when do you watch your first Christmas movie? White Christmas tends to be the movie we watch on Thanksgiving and I kind of love that tradition.
What are Your Favorite Christmas Movies?
We would love to have you all comment with your must-watch Christmas movies and then update this recipe next year or even a whole separate post of Christmas movies for the whole family to watch. FYI, I totally have a Chick Flick one if you’re interested…
What Ingredients Do I Need for White Chocolate Chex Mix?
The ingredients for this Chex mix can be changed based on what you have on hand. That is one of the reasons it is called “trash” Chex mix. It is meant for all the little leftover odds and ends you have in pantry that you might otherwise throw away. I’m going to give the ingredients that we love best, but feel free to make it your own!
- Corn Chex
- Rice Chex
- Mini Pretzels
- Mini Vanilla Wafers
- Dry Roasted Peanuts
- M&Ms (plain)
- White Chocolate Chips (We prefer white chocolate chips or white chocolate melting wafers and not white almond bark. It’s just too waxy for us in this recipe.)
- Vegetable Oil
The measurements for each can be found in the recipe card below.
This recipe is so versatile. Like I mentioned above, you can swap any ingredient out. You can use this for any holiday too! Just change the M&Ms to the current holiday specific bags at the grocery stores.
Here are few ideas for other swaps:
- Reese’s Pieces (so fun for a fall or Thanksgiving batch!)
- Coconut flakes
How to Make White Chocolate Chex Mix
It takes just minutes to whip this recipe up! Here are the basic steps:
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl (except chocolate, oil and sprinkles).
- Add the white chocolate and oil in a microwavable bowl and heat in 30 second intervals until totally smooth. Stir between each 30 second interval.
- Pour over the cereal mixture and fold to combine.
- INSIDER TIP: Another reason this is called “trash” Chex mix is because some people add all the ingredients to an unscented trash bag and shake it around to coat with chocolate. Feel free to try that if you want!
- Spread out over two parchment lined baking sheets.
- Cover with the sprinkles.
These instructions can also be found in the recipe card below.
How Do You Store White Chocolate Trash Chex Mix?
Store in an airtight container. It can be kept at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
How Long Will White Chocolate Trash Chex Mix Keep?
Stored properly, this will keep for several weeks.
So don’t be a cotton-headed ninny muggins! Gather the family around, make a batch of white chocolate trash Chex mix, and watch your favorite Christmas movie. These sweet, salty, crunchy bites are totally irresistible!
More Holiday Snack Mix RECIPES:
- 5 Minute Reese’s Snack Mix
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Crackers
- Ranch Slow Cooker Snack Mix
- Churro Chex Mix
- Candied Nuts Snack Mix
- Muddy Buddies
- Mini Pretzel Cheese Ball Bites
- Rolo Pretzels with M&Ms
- All SNACK RECIPES here!
Christmas White Chocolate Trash Chex Mix
- 3 Cups Corn Chex
- 3 Cups Rice Chex
- 3 Cups Pretzels, mini
- 3 Cups Vanilla Wafers, mini
- 16 oz. Dry Roasted Peanuts
- 11 oz Candy, M&Ms, plain
- 2 Bags Chocolate Chips, (12 oz.) white, not almond bark
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil, *see note
- 1 Teaspoon Maple Extract, optional (we don't use it)
- 2 Jars Sprinkles
- Combine all ingredients except the sprinkles in a very large bowl.
- Line two baking sheets or your counter with wax or parchment paper.
- Combine the white chocolate chips, extract and oil in a bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30 second intervals until the chocolate is smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour all over the cereal and quickly fold to combine.
- Spread out over the parchment and quickly sprinkle with 2 small containers of sprinkles.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.