What Fish Could You Substitute For Cod?
The best substitutes for cod are tilapia or flounder.
You could also substitute haddock in fish and chips.
Is Cod A Healthy Sea Food?
Cod does not contain high amounts of omega 3 fatty acids, but it is low in mercury and can be a nutritious part of a healthy diet.
Is Shallot The Same As Onion?
Shallots and onions are in the same family, but there is a difference in the flavor.
Shallots have a sweet and mild (although pronounced) flavor, with a hint of garlic.
Onions have more of a bite than shallots.
Cod with Tomato Cream Sauce
recipe by: EatingWell.com
- 1-1 1/4 pounds Pacific cod or tilapia fillets, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Season fish with 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallot, garlic and 1 teaspoon thyme; cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute.
- Add wine, tomatoes and the fish to the pan; bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook until the fish is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer the fish to a large plate; keep warm.
- Whisk cream and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Add to the pan, along with the remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Divide the fish and sauce among 4 shallow bowls.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 225 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 79.1mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 8.1g Fiber: 2.5g Sugar: 4.4g Protein: 24g