It’s a blast from the past with these 90’s inspired Cosmic Brownies Copycat Recipe. They are perfectly fudgey and taste just like your childhood!
The 90’s were full of packaged foods for school lunches, cheese and breadsticks or the cheese and crackers that you used that little red stick to spread the fake cheese with, gushers, Kudos, Hostess Cupcakes, and like a gazillion others that I’m sure you can name. I loved them all. Yes, even an occasional Twinkie or Swiss Roll made it into my bag, if I was lucky. Kudos never seemed big enough so I definitely snuck a few after school because I loved them so much. One of my favorites that I very, very rarely got was the Cosmic Brownie. It was individually wrapped in plastic to keep it’s fudgey deliciousness in tact and I couldn’t wait to get my grubby little hands on it.
I’ve been a bit nostalgic lately, I guess it’s the whole getting older and having older kids thing, but I’ve been thinking a bit about these things from my childhood. I can still feel the pain of my Skipit slamming into my ankles and walking my invisible dog from Disneyland. Good golly we had it good.
In fact, I saw this fun video and couldn’t help but remember my Saturday mornings with Lucky Charms, in my pajamas in the basement watching most of these shows. What has happened to cartoons?! It’s all teeny bopper, weird stuff now and I vote we bring back the classics. Even good ol’ Tom and Jerry wouldn’t please kids these days and that’s such a bummer.
So with all of this on my mind I really had no choice but to create a Cosmic Brownies Copycat Recipe which has lit a spark in me and now I want to recreate everything from back then. Stay tuned, folks I can’t be stopped.
Just start by making a super fudgey brownie and only bake it in an 8×8″ baking dish because we want dense little brownies. Do not overbake! Brownies should be shiny on top and still gooey which means you need to practice self control and let these babies cool entirely before frosting or slicing. You can do it, Captain America will help.
What Makes Brownies Fudgy?
Fudgy brownies have a higher fat-to-flour ratio than cakey ones.
So add more fat — in this case, butter and chocolate.
A cakey batch has more flour and relies on baking powder for leavening.
The amount of sugar and eggs does not change whether you’re going fudgy or cakey.
Wait, you don’t remember that one? Gosh, I’m getting old.
The frosting is just a simple ganache. I tried all sorts of recipes including a cooked chocolate frosting like on Mom’s Texas Sheet Cake but they just weren’t right. A ganache coats the entire brownie, plays off the whole fudgey factor and hardens up just enough to stay in place for the rainbow candies and plastic wrap it generally got wrapped in.
What is Ganache?
Ganache is a whipped filling of chocolate and cream, used in desserts such as cakes and truffles.
Speaking of those candies. We found ours at Walmart and they are made by Betty Crocker. M&M’s could be used, I guess, but I’d hunt down the rainbow candies. Maybe Target?
Cosmic Brownies Copycat Recipe
Cosmic Brownies Copycat Recipe
For the Brownies
- 1/2 Cup plus 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 1 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Plus 3 Tablespoons Butter unsalted
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
For the Frosting
- 1 1/4 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- Betty Crocker Rainbow Chips Candies
- For the Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Butter an 8-inch square pan.
- In a stand mixer, with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow.
- Add both sugars and beat again.
- Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8-inch square pan and bake for 45 minutes. Check for doneness, a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean.
- When it's done, remove to a rack to cool completely.
- For the Ganache
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and heavy cream for 20 second intervals, stirring between until smooth.
- Pour over brownies and allow to sit for a minute and then sprinkle with candies.