This is my favorite fettuccine alfredo sauce recipe. Thick and luscious and the perfect topping for fettuccine pasta. Your whole family will love it!
Where are my carb lovers at?!
I see you!
I AM one of you 🙂
And when you add a thick, rich, delicious sauce all over it. STICK A FORK IN ME! I am done!
This fettuccine alfredo recipe is everything and what pasta dreams are made of!
Ingredients Needed for Alfredo Sauce
- Kosher Salt
- Fettuccine Pasta
- Cream Cheese
- Heavy Cream
- Parmigiano Reggiano
How to Make Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce
Head down to the recipe card for all the details for making this sauce. Here are the basic steps:
- Set aside some of the parmesan cheese for later.
- Boil the pasta.
- Saute the garlic and mustard.
- Add the cream cheese and then the cream and milk.
- Add the parmesan and Parmigiano Reggiano and S&P.
- Whisk in the lemon juice.
- Add pasta into sauce.
- Top with remaining parmesan and some chopped parsley.
What Can You Substitute For Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese?
You could use Grana padano, Asiago, or Pecorino-Romano instead of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Or just plain Parmesan cheese.
What Can I Use Instead Of Heavy Cream in Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce?
You could mix low-fat or non-fat versions of sour cream, plain yogurt, Greek yogurt or cream cheese with either chicken broth or milk, to replace the heavy cream
For a lighter sauce, you could just use milk or evaporated milk instead of heavy cream.
How Do You Thicken Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce?
The sauce should thicken as it cooks, but if it is not as thick as you want you can thicken it.
Bring the sauce to a good simmer.
Dilute 3 tablespoons of flour in a half cup of water.
Add mixture to the simmering sauce.
Keep stirring until the sauce has achieved the creaminess you want.
Is Heavy Cream Whipping Cream?
Yes, heavy cream and whipping cream are the same thing. You can also substitute milk for cream in Alfredo sauce if needed. Whole milk is the most creamy substitute for heavy cream. Whole milk contains 8 grams of fat per 1 cup compared to 96 grams of fat per 1 cup in heavy cream.
How Long Will Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce Keep?
Alfredo sauce will keep for up to one week in the refrigerator.
Can Alfredo Sauce Be Frozen?
Alfredo sauce can be frozen in an airtight container, or in a heavy-duty freezer bag. But you should not freeze fettuccine Alfredo together. It’s best to always make pasta separate.
Cream-based foods should be stirred as they are reheated to keep them from separating.
Making fettuccine alfredo sauce from scratch is the only way to go! This is so creamy and luscious! You’ll never do a jar of store bought sauce again!
We Got You Covered On More Saucy Pasta Recipes!
- Spicy Queso Pasta Primavera
- Easy Beef Ragu and Pasta
- Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- One-Pot Lasagna Pasta
- 20 Minute Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta
- Creamy Garlic Lemon Butter Pasta
- Bolognese Recipe
- 1 1/4 Cups Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
- 8 oz Fettuccine
- 6 Tablespoons Butter, unsalted
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley, minced
- Set aside ¼ cup parmesan cheese for the garnish, and ½ cup parmesan for once the noodles are added.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, adding in ¼ cup kosher salt to the water.
- Once boiling add the fettuccini.
- In a dutch oven or high sided skillet over medium heat, add the butter and melt.
- Add the garlic and mustard and stir to combine for 30 seconds to 1 minutes.
- Dump in the cream cheese, whisking until smoothly incorporated.
- Quickly add the heavy cream and milk and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in ½ cup parmesan and ½ cup parmigiano reggiano. Add the salt and pepper.
- Allow to cook for 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Keep tasting the sauce, if you need a little more salt because it’s bland, please use it, otherwise let it sit.
- Whisk the lemon juice into the sauce. The acid helps to balance the heavy sauce.
- Remove the pasta from the water and add into the sauce with ½ cup parmesan, stirring with tongs to combine.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.