All you need is one skillet, a few fresh ingredients and soon enough you’ll have 20 minute creamy sun dried tomato chicken pasta for dinner.
Pasta used to be my go-to meal. When I was just barely starting out in college I quickly learned that pasta could be cheap, quick and really easy to make which was essential for a busy college student. I stuck to the same few ingredients, a little jarred sauce, chicken, peas, maybe even an occasional tomato and always cheese for this 20 Minute Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta.
Cheese and pasta just work, don’t they? I mean, even something as simple as parmesan on plain noodles tastes fantastic. As I got older and my bank account wasn’t full of nickels and dimes I started to buy a few more ingredients and mix things up. An all time favorite has been this 20 minute creamy sun dried tomato chicken pasta.
Check out how we make it!
The ingredients are simple and easy to keep on hand.
Sun dried tomatoes are packed in olive oil and kept in our fridge at all times. We use them in everything from omelets and pasta to sandwiches and appetizers. We linked up to our favorite brand and highly suggest you start buying them too. They are a little sweet and perfect for any meal.
Cream isn’t just for whipped cream in our house. We love the silky, rich taste of it on pasta. If you really want to go crazy you can swirl a little butter into those tomatoes at the beginning too but the cream is enough for us. We like to add a little squeeze of lemon juice at the end to brighten things up. Never add acid to a sauce at the beginning or it will break down the sauce and separate it.
We like pecorino romano or parmesan cheese with a little mozzarella for the gooey factor. The parm brings a sharper, saltiness to the dish while the mozzarella smoothes it all out.
Garlic is a must in any pasta and of course salt and pepper to taste. If it’s bland it’s merely that you didn’t season with enough salt.
Finally, chicken adds some good protein to the dish and really breaks up the heaviness of the pasta. We have a very tried and true method of cooking chicken in a pan so you don’t end up with raw middles or dry, hard chicken. Just head over to our post on How To Cook Chicken in a Pan to read all about it.
You’ll start with getting the pasta in a pot to cook. Quickly cook the chicken and remove it to a cutting board, allowing it to rest and juices to redistribute. If you skip that step the juices will run out when you slice the chicken and it will be dry.
Then just whip up a quick sauce by sautéing garlic and the tomatoes, whisking in the cream and cheeses and finally seasoning to taste. Add the sliced chicken and pasta back to the sauce pan and toss everything together. 20 minutes, done and done.
20 Minute Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta
- 2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 Pound Spaghetti Noodles
- 1/2 Cup Oil Packed Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon (less if you don't love it) Minced Garlic
- 1 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2/3 Cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 1- Teaspoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Basil, fresh or more to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat a potof water over high heat and season well with salt until the water tastes like salt water.
- Once boiling, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in the pan once the oil is shimmering and immediately turn to low heat.
- Cook the chicken the proper way as instructed in THIS post.
- Turn the meat once it's cooked halfway, about 5-7 minutes.
- Cook through, about another 5-6 minutes.
- Remove to a cutting board to rest.
- To the same pan, add the sun dried tomatoes with a little of their oil and the garlic.
- Turn the pan to medium and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Turn the heat to medium high and quickly add the cream and cheeses.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until thickened and add return to a simmer at medium low heat, add remaining ingredients, seasoning to taste.
- Slice the chicken and add it into the sauce along with the drained pasta.
- Stir using tongs and serve immediately.
our favorite pans are affiliate links so you can easily buy what we love and trust.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 375 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 103mg Sodium: 402mg Carbohydrates: 18g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 21g
We know you love chicken alfredo pasta, but have you tried a sausage alfredo pasta with sun dried tomatoes?!
It’s all made in one pot, that’s it. One pot lasagna pasta is our go to meal!
It’s a simple, healthy dinner that only takes 20 minutes!